• January 21, 2019, 06:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Donations for Female Inmates  (Read 17028 times)

Offline Gracielady

Re: Donations for Female Inmates
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »
 :bat:   Maddie & jlnjy,

I agree with both of you...I like you Maddie never thought I would be in prison...I decided when I was in to learn and pay attention to all I could.  The only thing I learned was how to be a better criminal if I wanted to....that's a shame....Even when I tried to help others, they made it almost impossible...A simple thing, a few other inmates wanted to read a book I had named The Travelers Gift and it was not permitted.  This book is an inspiring fictional story to which everyone of us could relate.  I think the "ugly" breeds easy in the system...it takes to much to fight back...BUT...now that I am out, I like you often send books to inmates (I use a different name of course!) but I feel I am giving a bit, even on this website when I can help out....

How long do you intend to continue accepting donations?

Thanks!
"Every time you suppress some part of yourself or allow others to play you small, you are in essence ignoring the owner's manual your creator gave you and destroying your design"

Offline maddie

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
Will accept donations for as long as it is allowed.
also Dwight in particular needs games, puzzles and crafts that do not require scissors or needles IE origami?

Offline Susan

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
When my daughter was in, I could not send her books. They had to come from the seller directly.

Can someone please post Core's address once more? I have not been on lately, thanks.
I am #12!

Offline jlnjy

• The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »
Maddie

If that was a response to me, let me clarify, I'm not complaining about help for women, I'm saying that its a good thing that there is help. Someone else had commented about how the same types of help are not offered for men and my point was the view of women versus men in our society.

In the case of the woman that robbed my father, she had been in and out of rehab numerous times and had a very lengthy retail theft history, she has stolen other people's checks and wrote them out for cash at places - its insane.

There are two areas that are truly underfunded and that is drug/alcohol rehab and mental health. To see the coverage of public or private insurance for both of these are ridiculous. I don't know if insurance companies realize, if someone isn't in their right mind, they can likely wreck havoc on others - not just their own personal life.

Offline maddie

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
You are right about mental health and rehab, but do you know that even if you have a drug problem, as an inmate, at least at Dwight if you want to attend a NA meeting you wait 3 months and must have a pass? Also if you wish to attend a religious service your BADGE must read the right religion? Catholics are not Christians and Protestans must be specific about religion, and changing is not easy. By the way your number , name and religion are the only things on your badge which can cause problems with some zealots.