• October 21, 2018, 10:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Illinois Going Home Program - Re-entry Program and Resources  (Read 25223 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Illinois Going Home Program - Report and Resources, Parole Information, IDOC Reception and Classification Information: Reentry program for offenders returning to the community.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/reentry/sar/pdf/wp1_il.pdf#search='Illinois%20Department%20of%20Corrections'

There is an interesting section that describes the battery of tests given to incoming inmates while in R and C, and the IDOC's guideline for placing them.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline UncleJohn

Re: Illinois Going Home Program - Re-entry Program and Resources
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:03:38 PM »
Dazzler's link now re-directs to the home page of reentry.gov

I found the correct link for this document now:

http://www.reentry.gov/sar/pdf/wp1_il.pdf

Hope this helps.

Offline 2Close2TheGrnd

• A rich child often sits on a poor mother's lap
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
Dazzler's link now re-directs to the home page of reentry.gov

I found the correct link for this document now:

http://www.reentry.gov/sar/pdf/wp1_il.pdf

Hope this helps.

This information is quite old, it was published when Gov. George Ryan was in office. Does anyone know if this program is still in existence or has been updated?

Offline Sharon

• Things change, Time heals, Love is Forever
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
Hi It's been a while.  I have spent some time trying to find information but had no luck.  So posting here.
Hope it's the right place.
My son (24) is due for parole next Feb. 2010 and needs to be placed somewhere.  I have linked with Dazzler's home page for Reentry.gov but all I can find is publications.  What I'm looking for is not a half-way house but something like A Safe Haven, or Spotlight Reentry. A place where they teach an ex-inmate how to:
well... just about all of it, live.  Find housing, job etc.  The only places I have found are in down-town Chicago and my son does not want to be out there but closer to home (Aurora), and surrounding areas.
His other stipulation is that he doesn't want to be in a religous ministry.  I know virtually all of them are
religous but are there some that aren't?  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks. :wc38:

Hope you are all enjoying this summer despite the weather.

Offline Jane

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
You need to contact IDOC home placement in springfield 217-558-200. Marvin Edwards is the Cook county guy and he knows all the reputable places to go. He is sweetheart but I doubt they will be worried abut it this far out. YOu should call call Tricia anyway and get his number.

Offline RT

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
They should start placement when they do their parole plans, about 6 months before they are due for release. Now is the time to jump on it. Try calling the Safer Foundation, they MAY be able to guide you in the right direction.  312-922-2200.

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline Sharon

• Things change, Time heals, Love is Forever
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Thanks Jane and Rick.
Who is Tricia.?
I will call IDOC Springfield tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Sharon

Offline ash8885

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
My loved one is in Sheridan and was told most inmates that leave there have to go to half way houses or transitional homes (not sure what they are actually called)  How do I find a list of available places in IL?  His 120 is coming up and he needs to know which location he wants to go to.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
They HAVE to go to half way houses or transitional homes?  Even if they have a home to parole to?

Offline ash8885

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »
Ya his counselor said they have to as part of the treatment program.  They have to go to a halfway house/transitional home for a max of 3 months.  He has 3 different addresses that he could parole to if need be but he is told he can't come home he has to go somewhere else.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
Thank you for that information.  I wasn't aware.....

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
They HAVE to go to half way houses or transitional homes?  Even if they have a home to parole to?

I am not sure this is true and am going to find out.  As long as I have been here, have not heard this!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline seaturtle

• Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.
  • Rest in the arms of the Dragon.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
My LO is in Sheridan and is coming up on his 120 also.  I am almost certain that is the counselors determind that the inmate must go to a halfway house then they must.  The way I understand is that it is at the descretion of the counselors.  On the other hand some inmates choose to go because they do have to full fill something like 18hrs per week of continued counseling and attend 5 hrs of AA, so an inmate might choose this because the couseling is right there at the halfway house and it is just easier.

Hope that helps!!
Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.  <3

Offline laniard30

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
So is that the rule... you have to have your parole plans in place 120 days before you get parolled?  I thought it was like 2 weeks.. is every facility different?

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
I have heard others with LOs in other facilities also talk about 120 days.  I think it is just the begining of preparation for discharge.  Sorry, my first time through also and I am not sure.  My LO has been gone a year now and I have read about some people getting the parole paperwork almost immediately and others not getting those papers to sign until right before.  It sounds as if it all depends on the conselor that is assigned to you LO and how they work.

Offline laniard30

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
Good to know I should be looking into this as I will be moving June 1 or possibly even July 1 and my hubby gets out 7/18 (well, if everything goes our way).  He knows this and has submitted to go to his Mothers for that first 72 hrs if necessary but I never realized it would take that long, we thought we could submit quickly in the end once I'd know where we'd be... I'd like to know what is the bare minimum anyone has submitted and been approved for if at all possible.... Thanks in advance!

Offline ash8885

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Mah if you do find information I would really like to know.  This is the first time he has ever been locked up and he is told 95% that leave there go straight 2 halfway homes.  I asked him 2 explain it to me a little more he said because it is a treatment center its to help them stay on the right track an get a job when they get out so they dont relapse. 

Offline RT

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
Sheridan is a model prison for other treatment center facilities around the country. Meaning they take notes from Sheridan. In order to go there, you must agree in advance to the treatment and what is expected of you once released. This includes placement in a sober living environment, ie halfway house. This is to help the offender continue his sober experience once out of the prison fences. Let's face it, in places like Sheridan, intoxicating substances are not that prevalent and nobody wants to get tested positive for them while there. The placement in such a place should not be of any surprise to the offender as parole plans are made at LEAST 6 months prior to release. I know at other facilities such as East Moline, when you come in the gate, you fill them out that day no matter how much time you have left. Your best bet to gain information is to call the Field Services office at Sheridan and ask to speak to a rep that could answer those questions. When you find out, please post your findings here so we all know what to expect from these fine folks at Sheridan...LOL!

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline JTMH

• Sheridan
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »
My husbands counselor mentioned that about the halfway house. Where are they located. I need him home to get a job before we loose everything. Does all of sheridan inmates have to go to a halfway house?

Judy
Looking for people who have L/O in Sheridan. Thanks

Offline reallove16

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
I have a LO in sheridan. He has a year and a half left. He told me that one of the inmates went home a week ago but that was the first hes heard of anyone going straight home from there. He said the guy that went home was a first time offender and had no tickets while incarated at Sheridan. He said everyone else that has gotten out since he has been there went to a halfway house or transitional center and that you have NO say in where you go after your sentance. Sheridan determines whether you go to an ATC or halfway house. Thats just what i was told.

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
My LO is in Sheridan with 2 months left.  He was told that he would have to go to a half way house.  The counselors decide this.  It is not an option of "yes I want to go" or "no I do not".  That said, my LO has a job waiting for him and it is no where near any of the half way houses.  My LO was told to get a letter ON LETTER HEAD from the company stating that the job is waiting for his release, AND that the letter has to be notarized.  We did this.  My LO is paroling to our house.  And, they DO check.

Just FYI    :wc1:

Offline ash8885

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
Thatz awesome Seaturtle!  My LO is going to a halfway house 3 hours away from home I don't understand why they would help him get a job so far from home.  Odds are they aren't gonna keep jobs that are that far from home.  He has several options for jobs around here an even someone helpen him get a job 45 min from where we live.  But he HAS to go to this place that is rediculously far away so he can get a job he isn't going to keep. Don't make sense to me.  He gets released in less than 2 weeks so we won't have time to by pass the outcome of where he goes!

Offline JTMH

• Sheridan
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
Where is there a list of halfway housing.

Offline cinlu87

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
I just wanted to say that you guys are soooo lucky to  be having your LO's coming home soon. Soon.  I am jealous but extremely excited for you!!!!!   .

Offline rottiemama2003

• ~better times are coming~
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Please don't be it has been 29 years 5 months. I am jealous of those who have had your l/o ones  home with you all this time lol
Rottiemama2003

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Where is there a list of halfway housing.

Just look on the board you posted this on.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline JTMH

• Sheridan
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
My husband was just told he has to go to a rehab house yesterday after being told for a month he would most likely be coming home. We are so upset because there is nothing anywhere around K3. Is there anyone I can call or write to see if he can't come home and do whatever outpatient care he has to do. We will not make it thru another winter without income from him finding a job we have lost everything now. I am just trying to keep the utilities on. The counselor had it in for him for sure. I can't see him now because of money and they asked him where he wanted to go did not give him a list but a few were Rockford, Peoria or Harvey all to far I will never see him and he won't be able to drive either and he will probably get hurt if he goes to Harvey.  I hope u can help with some answers. I don't know what I am going to do. Thanks Judy

Offline lds

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
 :turksm:
My LO is at Pinckneyville and he would call me collect at least once a week or I would get a short letter. When I last talked to him he said he put in a request to see a doctor because he was having pain in his chest area.That was on Oct 20,2011. Since then I have not heard from him. No letters, No phone calls. It's not like him and I am worried. Is there any way I can find out if he is alright? His projected parole date is 12/27/11 and I was suppose to sign something for him to be released here. The parole officer never showed up after contacting me at 10:15 on a Sunday night. I called back, left messages with my phone number. No response. Pinckneyville said it was approved. The parole officer also said he would be under house arrest for 120 days. Frustrated because I have questions and no one to answer them. Any help would be appreciated

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »
If it's customary to have heard from him by now and he was complaining of illness then you might give his counselor a call and find out if he's in the infirmary for any reason.  Although they have an emergency contact # they rarely notify family if there's a problem...usually Field Services sends a letter asking you if the inmate will be allowed to parole to your house.  Then the parole officer may or may not visit your home for a quick inspection...to see the location, etc.  He's still got a month or so before parole so there's plenty of time...hopefully all is well and he'll be home before you know it....
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

• "A Match made in Heaven"
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
Good Evening All

Well my the journey is almost complete. My LO is located at Sherdian and his couselors is great. They did give him an option of where he wanted to go. They told him they really want the men to start paroling to home. The prison system is over crowded and can not afford to send them to half-way homes. So my LO couselor is really pushing him for an address. I am moving so he does not have one quite yet. He explained to her that he needs to go to a half-way house for at least 3 months, she agree so we are now in the process of picking a great location. I have found one in the area we live at, but are not sure if he can go there. It's located in Elmwood Park, IL I would like to check to see, he will talk to his couselor tomorrow as well to check. He is 13 months away from coming home, and hopefully they will reinstate the good time! thanks for all the post! dabearss

Offline reallove16

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
My LO is currently at sheridan as well with 13 months left and they havnt said anything to him about parole yet. Im suprized they are getting his parole plans in line.. So they did give him an option on whether to parole home or a halfway house?

Offline rottiemama2003

• ~better times are coming~
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:18 AM »
Some prisons get started earlier that others. They will let him know or he can ask when he should put in his parole plan..
Rottiemama2003

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

• "A Match made in Heaven"
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
My LO speaks to her and him about everything and they have approached him about it. So I guess because he applied to go for work release. But they have discussed this with him at length. My LO dont like to ask questions, but they always talk to him about where he wants to go home to. I know the counselor was encourging him to go dwnstate IL.