Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

PINCKNEYVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 09:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prison changes involve Stateville, Pontiac,Thomson  (Read 66454 times)
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

So the study is now considered flawed and it actually would cost MILLIONS more to close Pontiac and open Thomson??? 

Feb 5, 5:45 AM EST

Researcher: Closing prison would be costly

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- A study showing the state would gain $4 million by closing Pontiac Correctional Center and opening a prison in northwestern Illinois is being portrayed by its author as flawed.

Robin Hanna of the Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs at Western Illinois University said Wednesday the number is based on faulty information. He says instead of a $4 million gain for the state, the move could create an economic loss of between $16 million and $26 million.

Hanna says he is raising questions about his study in hopes Gov. Pat Quinn uses updated numbers in assessing whether to close Pontiac and open the mostly unused Thomson Correctional Center.

Hanna said he came to the wrong conclusion because the data did not factor in the number of new employees being hired at Thomson, versus where they would reside.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IL_PONTIAC_PRISON_ILOL-?SITE=WBBMAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
babybabybaby

Charity for all, malice towards none.

« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:55 PM »

Sounds to me like Quinn isn't any better than Blago...he was cutting deals with senators before Blago was even impeached...I wonder if he cut 59 deals with the legislators to get his chance at the golden prize....

Mmmmaaaaannn, Dazzler don't be a hater. That is what a politician is supposed to do. When we elect a person - that is what they are supposed to do. Quinn, has on his resume, the downsizing of the state House by a full third. He also created the Citizens Utility Board which hires a team of lawyers to fight rate hikes of our utilities, such as Com Ed. Blogo and his flunky Emil sold their constituants out to Com Ed. Emils constituants could least afford this. This very selfish way to benefit the campaign funds of self, DO NOT benefit the people. These public servants are getting paid to serve.
If there is a public official who isn't cutting deals on my/our behalf I really want to know just what is he/she doing!  Quinn, started by going to Washington D. C. to get us a slice of the bale out pie. Go, man go!! He needs to continue on that course.

side bar: Quinn's close alli is the legislator from Thompson Prison's district. This will be intresting to watch. That ol' boy has been crying the blues over his half open prison. He wants jobs in his district and has even volenteered to lease the joint out and take convicts off the hands of the good citizens of Iowa. wc27 Of course there is that little matter over the rather large 1.3 million dollar hole in the roof. wc35

The love in your heart wasn't put there to stay.
Love isn't love until you give it away.

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2009, 06:58:43 AM »

McCoy hopeful for word on prison situation next week

By Sheila Shelton
Pontiac Daily Leader
Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:49 PM CDT

Pontiac, Ill. -

Pontiac Mayor Scott McCoy said he thinks the answer concerning the future of Pontiac Correctional Center could come as soon as next week.

This notion came after McCoy spoke to Gov. Pat Quinn on Monday in Chicago.

McCoy was in Chicago to attend a meeting hosted by U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and Quinn on the Illinois High Speed Rail issue. A proposed high-speed rail line would run through Pontiac.

“I am very interested in the high-speed rail system, as Pontiac is on that corridor,” said McCoy. “But I’m also going to do whatever I can to stay in front of Gov. Quinn, to keep the Pontiac Prison issue fresh in his mind.”

After the meeting and scheduled press conference on the rail issue, McCoy said he stuck around to speak with Quinn on the governor’s way out of the building.

“He said I would be hearing from him very soon,” McCoy said of speaking with the governor. “I thanked him for his time and efforts into looking into the PCC issue for us. The governor then smiled and said Pontiac is a wonderful Main Street community.

“I think we will know more next week when the governor announces his budget for the coming year,” said McCoy. “I believe I am correct that the entire budget will be made public on March 18 and it should include the budget for all of the Department of Corrections and that would or would not include Pontiac Correctional Center.”

McCoy said all of the discussion about the high-speed rail was very preliminary and caused by the fact that some of the federal stimulus money for the state could be used to set up and start this proposed Chicago to St. Louis corridor.

“As mayor I have been keeping very much abreast of all discussions about this proposed corridor,” he said.” Right now we just want to get the ball rolling. Durbin said it is hoped that the program could be operational by 2014. I want to make certain that while the high-speed trains would not be stopping here, that we are able to keep all the current Amtrak service we have.”

http://www.pontiacdailyleader.com/news/x1445721257/McCoy-hopeful-for-word-on-prison-situation-next-week

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: