• October 20, 2018, 06:53:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: PRISON SLANG  (Read 146327 times)

Offline xxbabygirlxx79

• Myspace
Re: PRISON SLANG
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
I finally was able to talk to my friend, and the guy wrote "are you still doing the lick? If so, that's bad $*** and I will be praying for you." To us, it sounds like a drug reference. They were in Peoria together.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline IMissMyBaby

• I Wont Be Complete Until He Is Back In My Arms!!!
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 12:59:20 AM »
yup  it is a ten dollar bill.  I had never heard the term before.  Maybe it is Chicago speak.
you mean to say there are only three sizes of shoes for them?  or just for those slip ons?  I can't remember where,  but I read something about the Marsha Brady's once.
I wonder what they do with all those shoes?  what  a  waste!

Dancer,
   Sawbuck is definitely Chicago Slang.... And some of these terms are used in and out of prison, but it's so funny how many people who don't have a loved one there would be so clueless as to what they are saying!

Offline rellim3

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
Brown bag,,,,when they are on lock down and can't go to the store. They have to order what they want nad it is limited.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Did anyone ever find out exactly what "claimed" means?

Offline Puzzled

« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
Can't help you on that one bmonska but I'm amazed at the prison slang I've learned since my sons incarceration.  Walk downs, Plugged in, etc...I think even my son's amazed ...I tell him I atribute to all my IPT buds.   :wc7:
“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
"Sawbuck is definitely Chicago Slang"

My Dad used this term all the time, also half a sawbuck ($5) & a double sawbuck ($20)

Another term I've only heard in Chicago is "solid quarter" which is just a quarter instead of 25 cents. I'm not sure if it's used anymore, people needed solid quarters to fill the parking meters now I think they take credit cards.
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
The slang terms for money has been around a long time.  I never associated it with being prison slang.  I heard it all the time growing up.  My Dad use to always say a "fin" for $5.00.  A c-note was a $100.

Offline Mrs. G

• One Day
  • Even if u fall on ur face, u're still moving 4ward
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Does anyone know what lick is?   It was in a letter my friend has. It was a guy in doc writing a guy that got out. He said "you still doing the lick, that's bad stuff". I have been searching everywhere to find out what it is. I never thought to ask here.

I interprete it as .. "Are you still doing your TIME,(as in doing your time in jail).. I think he is asking are you still doing your time in jail.

Offline wildcat7

• The Banned Mrs.
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Too funny. Many of the terms are street terms and a few are military terms. If you really think about what is being said, and take into consideration what the conversation is about, more often than not, you can basically figure out what is being said.  :stp1:

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
Does anyone know what lick is?   It was in a letter my friend has. It was a guy in doc writing a guy that got out. He said "you still doing the lick, that's bad stuff". I have been searching everywhere to find out what it is. I never thought to ask here.

I found this on another site from a google search:

We all know what the word "lick" means -- an easy opportunity of gain (robberies, burglaries, etc).

This has somehow evolved into everyday slang, since people in the hood are always looking for a "lick."

Offline ChivanSmith

« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »
My hubby called his last cellie a "viking"...... I was told that is someone who is nasty, dirty, stinky and does not like to clean up...... lol

Offline shorttimer

« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Let me feel that
getting little
Case - actuall case your doin ur bit on
joint - parent prison
cellie - cellmate
walk yourself - leave me alone I think
green - dont know anything
get your money - masturbate
g-shot book - hustler/playboy/etc
chow hall - obvious where u eat
on the new - new guy/fish
bid
ride - walk away
stole on - punched in face
lets count to ten
doodoo with cheese
rappie - person who has same case as you

Offline fromcolorado

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2011, 01:43:56 PM »

walk yourself - leave me alone I think

No.. To walk yourself is to transfer yourself out of a joint. You take your property box to the bubble and say you want out. They will oblige you, but you will be in handcuffs, go to seg, and go to higher level joint.

Offline KatieM

« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
I think walk yourself also refers to putting yourself into protective custody...........I think.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
Walk yourself from what I have always been told - means choosing Seg.  You choose to go to seg instead of (example: living with certain cellie or being moved to a certain housing unit)

Offline rottiemama2003

• ~better times are coming~
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
Walk yourself from what I have always been told - means choosing Seg.  You choose to go to seg instead of (example: living with certain cellie or being moved to a certain housing unit)

Some will place themselves in Seg to avoid problems so that there will not be any disciplinary ticket written.

Rottie
Rottiemama2003

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »

Some will place themselves in Seg to avoid problems so that there will not be any disciplinary ticket written.

Rottie

Exactly!  That was a great example too Rottie!  :) 
So as far as I know - that is what "walk yourself" means...

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
I asked M about "walk yourself." He said it can mean two things. 1) Put yourself in seg. 2) said to someone, "Walk yourself" can mean the same as "get out of my face/area/space."

Offline K14307

« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
Got a "kite" from my L/O today and he said that his new cellie was a "bug" and I knew Exactly what he was talking about!!....He did go on to expain that it is also a nut job that won't shut up!!   Yeah, but I already knew that from IPT!

Offline piirate

« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
Have any of you heard or been called "joe" .. he would do it on accident and irriate the hell out of me with it. lol.