*Operational Capacity: 3,868
 Maximum Security Adult Male
 *Stateville Correctional Center Population: 1,575
 *Northern Reception and Classification Center Population: 1,807
 *Stateville Minimum Security Unit: 172
 *Total Current Population: 3,554
 Average Age: 35
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $30,055.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.
 Stateville Correctional Center is the parent institution for the Northern Reception and Classification Center and Stateville Minimum Security Unit
Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Maximum security visits are 7:30am to 2:30pm (daily)
 Minimum security visits are 8:00-2:00pm (weekends and holidays)

Visitors must arrive by 1:30 pm weekdays and 12:45pm weekends & holidays.

General population and protective custody inmate visits are limited to two hours on weekdays and one hour on weekends and holidays.  All segregation inmate visits are limited to one hour.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
16830 So. Broadway St.
 P.O. Box 112
 Joliet, IL 60434

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 112
 Joliet, IL 60434 

Phone: (815) 727-3607
 Fax: (815) 727-5511

Facility Information

Stateville Correctional Center's mission is to encourage and promote a climate of safe and secure conditions in which offenders and staff can develop positive attitudes and encourage work and program opportunities and experiences that guide offenders toward reintegration into the community.

The facility sits on a total of 2,264 acres of land with a 33-foot wall with guard towers surrounding it. This adult male maximum security facility consists of a 32-bed infirmary in the health care unit and three living units that house general population, segregation, protective custody and temporary writ inmates. The Northern Reception and Classification Center (NRC) functions as the major adult male intake and processing unit for the entire state. The NRC contains 1,800 beds in 24 housing units. Within the NRC is also the minimum-security unit, which can house up to 384 offenders in two units.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Barbering

Industries:
•Soap
•Furniture

Volunteer Services
•Creative Art
•Choir
•Religious Bible Studies

Other:
•Library
•Life Skills
•Anger Management
•Substance Abuse
•Life Style Redirection
•Chaplaincy
•Community Work Crews
•Counseling

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/statevillecorrectionalcenter.aspx

Scout:
The guys at the Ville are finally getting cable.  G had told me he heard it was coming and had talked to one of the A/W's about it, but Bill confirmed it in my phone call with him yesterday.  I can't recall the time frame, lol and I'm not 71!!!  I bet the guys are going to be thrilled!

dancer:
Stateville is in Joliet IL on 53.  It is actually north of Joliet,  next to Crest Hill. 

If you live over 300 miles one way from the prison,  you can call the assistant warden's office at X6611 and request extended visits.  You should do this at least two weeks in advance.  I have never gotten a letter back confirming this but the inmate you visit will get it. Then in the gatehouse and visit room there will be a copy of it.  Request each day you think you might visit separately.  You should know that you can only visit one weekend day a month.  If you are taking a long trip to visit,  you might want to try to straddle the end of one month and the beginning of the next as then you could visit on a Sat. and then a Sunday,  if Sunday is the 1st for example. 

It can take a long time before you are actually able to visit.  They often wait for "batches" of visitors before processing them.  Watch what wording you have on T shirts.  No sleeveless for anyone including infants. No see through tops,  no cleavage, no short skirts or shorts.  It is best to bring another set of clothing if you have any doubts at all.  Time after time I have seen irate people at Stateville who cannot visit because of problems with their ID or clothing.  It is always good to double check everything before you visit, and call to see if they are on lockdown before you set out.

Stateville has a lot of men in and out of there,  because inmates come there to go to court in Cook County, and also they have R & C there. 

There are wild cats on the grounds!   Sometimes they are sitting together watching you go into the gatehouse. 

You buy a debit card and then put money on it to be able to buy food for the inmate.  You will need to put your cell phone in your car,  not in your purse.  After you get your two id's together and the two papers they give you,  you can lock your purse in the locker for 1 quarter, and then take the key with you. 

They do not accept social security cards at stateville as ID.  You have to have one photo ID like a driver's license, or state ID.  the other ID can be a work ID,  voter registration card,  or certified copy of birth certificate.  Children under 17 do not need to be on the inmates approved visit list.  You can have only three visitors.  I believe you can have an infant on a lap and that does not count.  if it is your first visit,  you may want to call there and ask to talk to someone to get the exact requirements.  I have taken children to visit three times,  and I needed to have their birth certificates and also proof that I had permission to bring them.  Once a letter from a judge that was certified that I had permission to do this,  and once it was a notarized letter from the birth mom giving me permission,  listing the dates, and they still called to check up on me. 

The vending machines have quite a variety of food available,  from ice cream, wings,  to grapes last time, and real juices.  The prices aren't too bad.

I always stay at the Ramada LTD in Bolingbrook on 53.  It has a pool,  jacuzzi,  good continental breakfasts and is 7 miles from the prison.  They even have a handicapped room that is reasonably priced. 
Children must remain seated.  They generally do not allow small children to sit on the inmate's lap. 
the pace bus 831 has a stop for stateville.  I think a greyhound bus goes there also.

Most of the staff are very pleasant at Stateville, but a few are "grouchy".

You will be allowed a brief hug and peck of a kiss at the beginning and end of visits.  There is NO touching allowed at the tables.  The tables they have,  the inmate is raised up and there are three metal stools attached to the table.

There is a separate area for segregation visits.  Steel yourself if you visit your loved one while he is in seg.  You will get a one hour visit.  He will look bad.  He will not be able to comb his hair or shave.  He probably will lose a lot of weight in seg. He will have a belly chain and handcuffs to it and have leg chains.  They will then chain him down to the floor from the stool.  Try not to cry until after you leave. 

the phone number for the Ramada is  630 972 9797

Kamama:
 That's great news that they'll finally get cabel. Wow!

By the way, when i go to visit my husband at Stateville, i always stay at a motel 6 at Joliet, near Joliet Mall. They offer what you need, which is a room, for an acceptable price of about $40.00 p.n. It's about 15 minutes driving to Stateville. As I'm coming over from the Netherlands, I hope once to learn to know any people, to have a talk and/or a meeting with, for the hours I've to entertain myself! Are YOU maybe the one? Let me know.

dancer:
two choices of places to stay near stateville.
Super 8 in Romeoville 1301 Marquette Drive, romeoville 60446 630 759 8880
call for reservations at 1 800 800 8000
and my favorite, though a few dollars more is the Ramada a block down
520 S Bolingbrook Drive 630 972 9797 It has a pool and jacuzzi and a better continental breakfast.
Also the Ramada in Bolingbrook has a handicapped room for the same price.
It is 7 miles from the prison.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page