• April 22, 2018, 04:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102479 times)

Offline feuxdejoie

Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
I just mailed out a  letter and send the prestamped envelopes that he ordered in county and a few pieces of paper.  Will he be reprimanded for my mistake?

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Feuxdejoie---I don't know if he will be reprimanded, but he definitely will NOT get them. If you want to send him paper to write on, just use the top few lines as a note then send it.

Jen--I wouldn't risk talking about other inmates. Sometimes co's get uppity about things like that. But a Vickie S catalog should be fine, and sports illistrated is ok.

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
Thank you Marks_guy, I was rather iffy about mentioning the other inmate, but the mom wanted me to tell D about him. I'm sorry but I am not risking D getting in trouble for that. I don't want anyone in trouble on my account. And about the Victoria Secret and SI, D's gonna love me for that... LOL. Thanks again. :wc70:
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline mamielane

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
At Centralia if you remove any of the pages or ads they reject the magazine and consider it "altered". Pages torn out? C'mon! That's what they were going to do anyway! LOL. Control freaks! They are also selective about internet material they allow as well,so to be safe,I just mark out the website address on everything I send him.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 06:10:58 AM »
1st question is... I saw that "most" catalogs are allowed, D is in Graham R&C. Is Victoria Secret okay? What about magazines like Sports Illustrated, mainly the swimsuit issues (as long as any "suspicious" ads are taken out)? Just don't want to cause troubles:~S  Also, A friend of mine just informed me that her son was just sent to Graham R&C. Am I able to tell or discuss this individual with D in a letter? Or is that a no-no?

Victoria's is OK as long as it's OK with you :)   Sports Illustrated is fine too, just know that any magazine that has pentration and anything to do, even ads with guns or knives, will not be allowed.

I would save all conversations about another inmate until you visit, this could cause trouble, be careful what you write and what you say on the phone, all this can be held against them, if they ever get into any trouble.

I've seen a couple posts lately about sending things in off the internet.  I would cut all reference to any website off the pages and no maps of any kind either.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jenplus2

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
Thank you guys for the information, one of these days I may learn all the ins and outs (HA I doubt it) and even if I did, IDOC would only change it. Thanks again.  :wc69:
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline jenplus2

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »
I just learned the hard way that a kiss (with lipstick) on a letter is a no-no. It's considered contraband and they'll return it back to you.

Offline boop

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
I have an issue that I would like some advice on. I sent my L/O a nice study bible, several of the other inmates have seen the bible and have requested one, my L/O has their names. I was going to send them to my L/O one at a time to give to the other inmates; now I am concerned that this may get my L/O in trouble and possibly seg, time. So I need advice on how to handle this? I really want some solid advice from someone that knows how to handle this. Hopefully Dazzler will have the answer.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »
That's a toughie. I know property logs in every article sent to an inmate. If the property list says he has received 6 bibles, and the shakedown his cell and only find 1, there might be a problem. I would call his counselor or the chaplain for advice on how to handle this. Even if they say no, I commend you on wanting to help these other men!

Offline MariaL

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »
My cousin is in cook county, he asked me to send him a calander I printed one out the internet one that had all 12 months on one page they sent it back saying he could not recieve it because it is not permitted. I dont under stand how a calander can do any harm? My bf just got transfered to Vandalia he was in Western IL. before, Ive sent him a calander there and had no problem. I just dont get it it sometimes..
Love is not finding the perfect person but seeing an imperfect person perfectly

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »
Cook County is it's own creature. They have their own rules and policies. I'm pretty sure, as long as it has no wire binding, IDOC allows calenders.

Offline chippyn

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
I use perfumed letters to my man at menard. I also write a little in spanish and sometimes kiss the letters
. So i guess every prison is different

Offline eb2008

• 1+1=3
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
I use perfumed letters to my man at menard. I also write a little in spanish and sometimes kiss the letters
. So i guess every prison is different

I also perfume my letters (curve) && I use colored lipgloss && kiss my letters at the end :wc3:

Offline chippyn

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
Yeah i think its different in every prison and also depends on whos working in the mailroom.i dont think they really read the letters at menard either.

Offline eb2008

• 1+1=3
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
My guy says that they really don't read the letters they just scan for "keywords"...

Offline iloveu88

• I WILL LOVE HIM FOREVER! I JUST HAVE TO STAY STRONG
  • DOWN THIS ROAD AGAIN...CAM&SRM 7.22
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
Hello everyone...my guy is in IL river and i was reading this post...I think every prison is different because I send my guy lipstick prints on the letters and perfum and they are never returned...
I have loved you for a thousand years, and i will love you for a thousand more. I'll wait for you until you finish your fight.<3

Offline brandyt

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Okay I'm sending out a scrap book I made for my lo its seems kind of big..would that be okay? Also I'm guessing we can't use pipe cleaners on them?? Like for decoration..is their anything that I shouldn't include at all ??
Whatever it takes, or how my heart breaks, I'll be right here waiting for you.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Glitter, stickers, things glued on, sequins, ribbons...just about anything used for decorations. Be sure that there are no pictures of drugs or alcohol, and any intimate pictures have nothing showing.

Offline brandyt

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
we can't glue  pictures to the pages?? Crap ugh now idk what to do and I was almost done!!!
Whatever it takes, or how my heart breaks, I'll be right here waiting for you.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
Go ahead and finish it. Once you are done, write a special letter about the book. You don't have to describe each page, but hit the highlights. Especially relate the memories it brought up, and how you felt making it for him. Then take a few photos of the scrapbook to include in the letter.

Due to the risk of contraband entering the prisons, severe limitations are placed upon us on the outside. That's why we rely on each other for ideas on how to make holidays and other occasions special for our loved ones.