• April 22, 2018, 04:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102479 times)

Offline luvmyvietman

• True Love Waits
  • true love waits
Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
You really need to call the mailroom of the individual prison. Sometimes what many places do, one wont. Its easier to just check with them to be sure.

Offline kate102518

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
I always spray perfume into the air, then wave my letters through it.  My l/o loves it, and mentions it often.  I'm glad there's no problem with him being able to receive them.  I agree about it being annoying for the people who work in the mailroom though, lol.  That's okay, they annoy me, too  :wc35:

Offline codyandbecca

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
I thought that you could not spray the letters with perfume. Kate I will try what you did since our guys are in the same prison and see if he gets them smelling good. God knows they need a better smell in there than they already do. I could only smell dirty socks and men for so long before I lost it. LOL

Offline codyandbecca

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
Chicago it should be ok to send that into him. I would not see why it would not go through.

Offline kate102518

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
Yeah, Becca, you should try it. I do that with every single letter and have never had any returned

Offline ciessa

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »
My husband was just sent to Stateville R&C and i was wondering if i could send him fingerpainted pictures made by our daughter.  i know we can send crayon colored pictures but is paint ok?

also, if he is serving a 3yr sentence, would he be eligible for early release with the budget issues as well?

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
I don't know if anyone has ever tried sending fingerpainted pictures.  I guess you could try.  If it's rejected it will be sent back to you.  I wouldn't send any that has thick paint in any areas...they will think it's an attempt to mask something in it...

I imagine your H will only serve one year or less of that sentence.  And technically, he would fall into the early releasee category, unless his crime was violent or a parole violation...but he was sentenced to time in prison...letting him out immediately after going in isn't going to be much of a deterrent to his future behavior.  I know everyone wants to get their men home as soon as possible, but sometimes they need to spend a little time inside to stop their criminal ways.  If they release everyone upon entering the IDOC it would just be a mockery.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Bobsgirl17

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
I didn't think that they could have any pictures colored with crayon either.  At Taylorville, my l/o got a picture lightly colored from his nephew and they tore up the picture infront of him.  They would not send it back. Where are their hearts? Oh duh...this is the IDOC!  :wc96:

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
I have never had any problems with sending my H pictures colored with crayons or markers by our son.  We do it all the time.

I have never sent finger paint so I really don't know about that one - sorry.

Offline ciessa

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
i don't want him to get out immediately.  i want him to spend at least 3 months there if he were to be eligible for early release because i agree that unfortunately he does need it. in all actuality i would just like him to be home in 3-6 months.  i know, probably not due to his sentence but one can hope. i'm pretty sure that's all the time he would really need to get the picture. no his crime was not violent at all, just writing bad checks due to a past drug problem. he is going to enter into drug treatment if he can and take classes too. he is doing them to both reduce his time and to better himself for when he gets out.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
Well I'm sure his charges would make him eligible.  I don't know if they'll release anyone who has one year or less original sentence...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline mionotuyo

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
My H was also sent to Statesville is in Recpt right now has been there for about 9 days was sentenced on 25Aug 2009 for 4yrs Drug charges 1st offense has Count1 Case1 . By any chance does any1 know if he wud be eligible for early release or would he just do the straight 18mths. Im new to all of this also...Thanxs  :wc13: :wc13:

Offline autumns_mummee

• "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. "
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »
I wouldn't risk it with the fingerpaints. I just got something sent back to me & it was practically destroyed when I got it. It was a greeting card from the  "Blue Mountain" greeting card company, they sell them at Cracker Barrel. Anyway, the cards aren't home-made, they are mass produced, but they have a home-made look to them. Kinda hard to explain. Anyway, the mail room disected that card pretty bad & I got it back. the only good thing is they must have pulled out the inside of it with the actual words on it (it was a beautiful love poem) because my guy got that & the letters I stuck in it for him. Oh well, live & learn. They said it was "heavily glued" I didn't see any globs of glue peeking out. Anyway, whatever. My daughter also sent him a small paper kite that she cut out & colored for him. I forgot to ask him if he got it & he hasn't said anything which is strange because he usually thanks me for stuff like that. Never got anything sent back though. Who knows? I just want this nightmare to be all over with.

Goodnight everyone. Enjoy your holiday weekend.
 :wc3:

Offline katielb

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »
colored pencils?

Offline Lovehimso

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »
What about song lyrics copied off the internet?  I don't want my baby to get in trouble or arrested for copy right laws?

Offline EMERALD

• I am what I am
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:43 AM »
I often send my guy song lyrics from the internet with no problems.
like red on a rose.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
If you are worried about things from the internet, just hand copy it in a letter. That's what I do when so there isn't a problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
There's no problem sending song lyrics.  You're not using the informtion for commerical use.  If you ever have a question about internet pages just block out the page and url information at the top of the printed item.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline codyandbecca

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 12:18:20 PM »
I always copy and paste the song lyrics onto microsoft word. He always gets them.

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »
1st question is... I saw that "most" catalogs are allowed, D is in Graham R&C. Is Victoria Secret okay? What about magazines like Sports Illustrated, mainly the swimsuit issues (as long as any "suspicious" ads are taken out)? Just don't want to cause troubles:~S  Also, A friend of mine just informed me that her son was just sent to Graham R&C. Am I able to tell or discuss this individual with D in a letter? Or is that a no-no?
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~