• April 22, 2018, 05:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102480 times)

Offline chadsangel4

Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
I didn't think we could send things in boxes...am I wrong?
\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

You can send things in USPS Priority/flat rate boxes only.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

You can send things in USPS Priority/flat rate boxes only.

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!!
-Desmond Tutu

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
Just thought I would let anybody with an LO at Stateville know, they do not allow the USPS/Flat rate boxes there.  I just wasted $11.35 finding this out. 
-Desmond Tutu

Offline silverio

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2012, 06:46:09 AM »
This is my first time.... i tried to send a soft covered book in a bubble (padded) envelope. This type of envelope is not allowed.

Offline myonenonly

• hello
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »
Thats very odd that they accept them in some places and not others? I just sent a book in those bubble padded envelopes last monday and he got it on Friday. Interesting.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:24 AM »
This is my first time.... i tried to send a soft covered book in a bubble (padded) envelope. This type of envelope is not allowed.

Welcome to IPT. 

Each facility has it's own rules for envelopes, most only allow manilla ...  the best thing to do is call the mail room before mailing to find out or just take them with if you are going on a visit, saving all the problems and cost of shipping.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Cdjohns1106

« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »
So... I recently sent my bf a map of Illinois so he could know where he was geographically. I now realized that I shouldn't have done that. What normally happens in situations like this? Will I get banned from visiting or will he get in trouble. I feel awful for doing it. I don't want him to get in trouble! He is in Shawnee. Please help... Should I call?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2012, 03:35:01 AM »
So... I recently sent my bf a map of Illinois so he could know where he was geographically. I now realized that I shouldn't have done that. What normally happens in situations like this? Will I get banned from visiting or will he get in trouble. I feel awful for doing it. I don't want him to get in trouble! He is in Shawnee. Please help... Should I call?

No, they will tell him he got something in the mail, but that he cannot have it and they will either send it back to you or just throw it out.  Many have made this mistake, you are not the only one ..

Offline Lmd2012

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »
Don't feel bad Cdjohns1106, I did something similar.  I am moving the the area where my LO is incarcerated so I sent him home listings with the map attached pointing out how close I would be to him.  It was done innocently and with the intent fully written out in the letter with the listing.  I got the entire thing back in the mail about 2 weeks later with a pink slip explaining why.  I felt so stupid...my LO and I still giggle about it from time to time. I am more careful now and remember that to society he is not viewed with the love and trust that I feel for him.   :wc95:

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but my eyes are too tired to read through the entire thread.

So.....is there a size limit on calendars?

I know it has to be non-spiral.

He has said that he'd like a business calendar; one with lines. Something that he can write on.

Would something like this be acceptable? Non-spiral, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/AT-A-GLANCE-Recycled-Monthly-Calendar-PM2-28/dp/B0088VSYQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1363132717&sr=1-1&keywords=wall+calendar+2013
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
When I asked C about calendars, he told me that they couldn't be any bigger than 8.5x11 (paper size), or they don't fit into his box right. He wanted the same type of calendar.  What I did was, something like this... http://www.amazon.com/AT-A-GLANCE-Outlink-Recycled-Monthly-70-2009-10/dp/B0088VRZ7Y/ref=sr_1_24?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1363142982&sr=1-24&keywords=8x10+office+calendar  at Wal-mart, and just took the spiral off.

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
Oh; I just love you! Lol thank you! That's perfect!
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline bummed

« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
does anyone know if i can send manila 9x12 envelopes in a bubblewrap envelope to inmate?? :wc14: :wc13:

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
does anyone know if i can send manila 9x12 envelopes in a bubblewrap envelope to inmate?? :wc14: :wc13:

are you asking if you can send envelopes inside another envelope?  If yes, the answer is NO.

Offline tina1989

« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
Well I just got a package back from my pen pal and they must have charged him the 9.45 to send it back to me! They said the postcards and unused card were contraband... I've sent postcards before no worries. I'm very dissapointed now.. and another parcel I put the wrong po box it came back destroyed with 50% of the xontents missing.

Offline leon1968

« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
Where can I find an IDOC vendor for music?

Offline leon1968

« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
So I sent my husband a package of pictures and things I did for my bday weekend.  It was sent to IA because it was considered contraband because they photos contained bottles of alcohol on the background in addition to people taking shots.  Are they serious?  I have sent him many pictures like this before, why would they put a block on it now.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
Where can I find an IDOC vendor for music?

Call the prison your LO is at and ask who they allow and if you can order or does your LO have to order himself.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
So I sent my husband a package of pictures and things I did for my bday weekend.  It was sent to IA because it was considered contraband because they photos contained bottles of alcohol on the background in addition to people taking shots.  Are they serious?  I have sent him many pictures like this before, why would they put a block on it now.

Very serious, even though you have sent pictures like this before, you were lucky they were never stopped then,

Any pictures with weapons, booze in them are considered contraband and destroyed, not allowed.