• April 22, 2018, 01:20:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102443 times)

Offline me

• Support Staff
Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »
Just FYI - for anyone who mails to Logan, as of last week they were rejected anything that was a print out from the internet....... ANYTHING - love is, bible devotionals, any internet newspaper articles............. 
My l/o got a notice about something I has sent him being rejected because it was an internet print out - all I sent was a love is and a bible daily devitional I get...... as well as you can no longer use highlighters to highlight anything..........

Also, an envelope I sent got sent back that my son had colored a small picture on the back of it with highlighters - it was just the sun and some hearts and flowers........

They never even opened the envelope - they sent it back to me as rejected. 

I called the mail room to ask why and they told me that they were told that these things will no longer be allowed effective immeditately. 

I don't know what happened - but "somebody" must have messed it up for everyone..........

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Me,why don't you start a new topic, about contraband at prisons and include what you just said here about Logan, then we can add to it as we go along.  IDOC is an entity that no one will ever totally figure out, because they keep changing.   Thanks for the heads up!  We need to get this and any other restrictions in one topic and sticky it on this board.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
i firmly believe each faclity is different. Some of the things said here not to send i have with out problems. Even calling they all say something different.
 i have made things off the computer, pictures ranging from wallet to 5x7, all sent sperate times and all at once, without a problem, i print things off the internet my hubby draws and does this for other inmates for them to send out cards, and suck for thier l/o bdays and other occasions. I have sent calendars with lil srings to connect the pages, and from the IDOC websit his charge wit hhis current idoc photo...
so like i said it depends on the facility, and who is in the mailroom...
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »
Will do.   :wc1:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
jcruz, we all know IDOC is not consistent and that what one prison allows another doesn't. It should be straight across the board, but since it isn't, we are starting a new topic with restrictions to specific prisons, also posted on this board and we encourage people to go there and post the restrictions at the prisons they deal with, keeping it on topic for that purpose only!

Thanks me!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
Love u 2 auntie scotts! i'm in the er instead of at the tattoo parlor :( but back to the topic...thanks for reminding me about the maps, i almost sent him a mappy outline of the whole state of GA!

Thaks Mah! I didn't even think about the urls. :)

Offline veracity

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »
My son was told something was sent to him that would not be beneficial to his rehabilitation and given the choice to send it home or have it trashed. They wouldn't tell him what it was or who sent it so he had it sent home. We couldn't imagine what it could be or who could have sent "IT".

I got "IT" today and guess who sent it? ME! LOL. It was a reference book "A Writer's Guide to the Police & How They Work". It's a paperback and the cover is a drawing depicting hands in handcuffs. The back says "it's a comprehensive guide so your readers will wonder whodunit instead of why your facts don't mesh". It's part of a series by the Writers Digest. I send him all kinds of textbooks and non fiction reference books and thought nothing of it. Kinda of funny it was refused considering every inmate already has some idea of police and how they work. So I bought the book, paid for postage and my commissary donation paid for it's return. Hmm, maybe I'm the one that's supposed to read it LOL.
 Still don't understand what the big deal is. Got any ideas what's wrong with it?

Offline hisrealistchick

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
A question has arisen from one of our members about mailing certain items to an inmate in the IDOC.  I'd like to start this topic so others might know what is and isn't acceptable.

Do not send any webpages from the IDOC website.  No pictures or information about yours or any other inmates.

Do not send maps of anything.

Do not send photographs of any prisons.  No drawings or satellite images either.  They will be considered plans of escape.  

Do not send any human hair.

Do not send tobacco, candy or gum.

Do not send cash.

Do not send writing paper, envelopes or stamps...even pre-stamped envelopes are no longer allowed anywhere.  You may however send just a few lines on a piece of paper so the inmate can re-use the paper with his own letter.

Do not send any letters or envelopes that have anything spilled on them.

Do not use stickers on letters or envelopes.

Do not use glitter inside or outside of the envelope.  You may however draw 'toons, cute sayings, etc. on the envelope.  

Do not use perfume on your letters.

Do not use the word 'escape', breakout or other words that are buzz words to get your mail censored.

Do not pass letters from other inmates.

Do not send money to any other inmate in your inmate's institution.  It's considered 'trafficking' and he'll receive SEG time.

Do not send any XXX magazines that show penetration of any kind...human or otherwise, i.e. toys, etc.  XXX mags are allowed but they must have these types of photos removed first.

Do not send nude photos of yourself....suggestive is okay.   Magazine nude photos are okay...just not real photographs.

Do not send books about crimes committed by anyone who is in custody of the IDOC.  If they've already died, as Richard Speck, John Wayne Gacy, etc...that's acceptable.  All books and magazines are subject to review by the prison's book reviewer and anything subversive is usually rejected, i.e. negative books about the government, white power, etc.

Do not refer to any gangs in your letters, gang activity or gang lingo.  It's a sure way to get your inmate a trip to Internal Affairs.

Do not write parts of a letter in a foreign language.

You may send non-spiral calendars.

You may send paperback and most hard-covered books.  Some facilities do not allow hard-covered books.  Check first.

You may order newspaper or magazine subscriptions from the publishers and have them mailed direct to your inmate.

You may send catalogs to the inmate.

You may send crossword puzzle books, search-a-word puzzle books, etc.

You may order cassette music from IDOC approved suppliers and have it sent directly to the inmate.

You may bring five books/mags/newspapers to each visit.  You'll have to fill out a publications forms with the titles and authors, inmate name and number and after review they will be distributed to your inmate.  This cuts down on postage fees for those that visit.

You may use swear words in your letters and you may send very graphic love letters.  They aren't read for the content...just checked for contraband and scanned for the word 'escape'.

If others have more to add please do so.

I spray perfume on my letters envelopes and they dont say nothing I also kiss my letters with lipstick

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but some how feeling warm inside because you're close in heart.&&His Queen Waiting On Him To C

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »

I spray perfume on my letters envelopes and they dont say nothing I also kiss my letters with lipstick

Consider yourself lucky, at many prisons, those letters would have been sent back to you! 

Offline ezafiro

« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
my bf asked me to send another inmate money so I sent thru jpay. under a different user name then mine but used my credit card. Does anyone know if they can see the credit card Info. I really dont want to get anyone thrown in seg :-(

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
You didn't even have to go to all the effort of using another name. There is nothing wrong with giving money to more than one inmate.

Offline td3305

« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
My L/O is in stateville R&C and he wrote me that one of the guards said that they are allowed to get stamped envelopes and they haven't got sent back to me yet hope this helps somebody

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
If they are considered contraband, they probably will just destroy them instead of sending them back.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
They have always been considered contraband, not allowed.  Be careful with doing this, you will be wasting your money.

Offline destinswife

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
Crazy question about cards can you send them musical cards?

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
nope.  I believe they may let them have the card but they will take the musical part out of it.
\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline destinswife

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
Thats what I was kinda figuring.

Offline Ira

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
My mother-in-law sent my husband a musical card for his b-day, and they just took the mechanism out.

Offline peachypuff

« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
My l/o asked for some word seek puzzles....what kinda packaging do i use??
Michelle

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »
A manila envelope is just fine. If you plan on sending a lot of stuff at once, you can use one of those flat rate envelopes/boxes from the post office.