• April 22, 2018, 04:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102477 times)

Offline lch313

Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
 To Mah: My 7 year old son cut out a design and colored it with markers as a father's day gift to include with his card. I spoke with my husband earlier tonight and he just got the card today with a pink slip stating that the picture/design was mailed back to me today. He had to use one of his own writeouts for them to send it back to me.
Faith, Hope and Love abides....But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor. 13:13

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:26 AM »
To Mah: My 7 year old son cut out a design and colored it with markers as a father's day gift to include with his card. I spoke with my husband earlier tonight and he just got the card today with a pink slip stating that the picture/design was mailed back to me today. He had to use one of his own writeouts for them to send it back to me.

Thank you, well, there are so many that makes cards, etc and mail things in from kids, who knows why they would return that. Maybe the markers?  One just never knows with the IDOC.  I remember sending things in made by children and no problem, but each prison has their own set of rules, sorry your husband could not enjoy what your son made for him.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline scotts baby 08

• <3 he is my Heart, he is my Best Friend, he is my Life, he is my World. He is my Soul Mate. <3
  • Yesterday isn't here soon enough!
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
i know at LCC they told me that Punk cant do anything in anything except colored pencil...which really stinks cause she likes her crayons and markers..but they said that if it is smudgable, scrappable, or smearable, is not allowed... :wc96: ... they are just kids..it is not right that they punish the kids too..
Never take today or tomorrow for granted!

Offline bmonska

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »
Well remember a few months back, a woman was caught sending drugs in by way of smearing it into a picture from a coloring book that had looked like a kid had made it. It was just done in crayon but they found the 2 pages contained the thin film of some drug. I can't remember if it was in IL or not though. Some people ruin it for the rest of them.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Well remember a few months back, a woman was caught sending drugs in by way of smearing it into a picture from a coloring book that had looked like a kid had made it. It was just done in crayon but they found the 2 pages contained the thin film of some drug. I can't remember if it was in IL or not though. Some people ruin it for the rest of them.

I never heard that, may have not been here in Illinois, but yes, this is the same thing as we talked about yesterday, in the way people dress for visits, some will try to get away with anything and some do.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
I'm kinda straying from the main topic here but I got a question pertaining to pictures...I've been developing mine at Walgreen's but some of my creations are much better printed at home...besides it's also free...but my B told me that I can't really send printed pics, only developed...is that true??? i have so many pretty custom made pics I can send him...plz lemme know! thanx ya'll! :wc30:

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
Crowe each facility is different I have in the past sent my hubby some printed photos from home, I like poetry so I write him alot of poems and custom design a whole 8x10 picutre and he has been able to get it, I also always draw on his envelope and he get's them just fine. We all know that no two facilities mail room is the same so I would either call and see of just try and send it and see what happens. I found out through my years of dealing with idoc one thing for sure you are never certain.
He is my Life, My Greatest Gift from god He is my husband.

Offline lurios2

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
I've printed pictures at home too without a problem, but I think the best thing would be to call and check.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline scotts baby 08

• <3 he is my Heart, he is my Best Friend, he is my Life, he is my World. He is my Soul Mate. <3
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
all of my pics are printed from my puter..i have sent them to LCC, Graham, and Vandelia..plus county..and they all have went thru, BUT....i do know for a fact that they all have to be cut the same size or they will be sent back as altered contraband..

love and hugs

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »
Thank you ladies for your great advice! Sister: i'm just gonna try and send it, he does have 3 printed pics but he brought them over from county.
lurios2: i'll be talking to him 2nite so i'll ask him, if he says no then i'll call n double check.
scotts: thanks for the heads up...what if i send them one at a time??? it wouldn't be contraband then??? i developed one of the kimis and it wouldn't fit on a standard print :( but i sent what i had anyway :)

Offline scotts baby 08

« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »
you are welcome, i sent printed ones of the ikimi's and yes, i used the same size paper to print on..as long as you do not have to do any cutting to resize the actual photo, you will be fine..you can send one at a time, and you can send others too...most mail rooms had no idea what i was talking about when i would call ahead and ask, they just told me to send in and see what they thought..so try whatever is easier for you..

Offline bmonska

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »

I never heard that, may have not been here in Illinois, but yes, this is the same thing as we talked about yesterday, in the way people dress for visits, some will try to get away with anything and some do.
I do remember now I read it on MSN.com so it was national news at that point.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »
Scotts: so if i want to make it a 5 x 7, can i cut the white edges from around it, or would that be altering??? how do you do it??? i can't afford to use up all (my mom's) ink so i can't print full pages, only 4 x 6's or 5 x 7's max.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
When I print pictures from home, I just make them 5x7's, with 2 on a page, and leave them like that.

Offline scotts baby 08

« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
yes marks_guy..that is what i do now too..

but before, when i would cut the white off from around the pics, that is what got me into trouble..lol..cause one pic may have been just a centimeter bigger than the other one..lol..ugh ..so now i use the same size pictures and paper so that i do not have to do any cutting..lol

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
thanks ya'll! i'll try it that way then...those kimi's will really brighten his day and put a smile on his face  :wc71-1:

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
my B wants a pic of the Atlanta skyline so he can draw a sketch for his next tattoo when he gets out (he's just jealous that i'm getting another one tomorrow)...but is that ok to send a pic of a city skyline??? Also a pic of the Chattahoochie River that he wants tatooed as well...geez these requaests are getting to be a little much!  :wc26:

Offline trina162006

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
hello I would like to know if anyone can tell my how long does it take idoc to credit an inmate there good time for completing there GED in a work release center. I took my LO all his paper that he need showing he pass his GED July 5, his counselor say see sent the information but he still have not receives his and that had push his out date to be release any day. His parole officer visit me and approve me as his Host, and he his 90 house arrest?

Offline scotts baby 08

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:47 PM »
my B wants a pic of the Atlanta skyline so he can draw a sketch for his next tattoo when he gets out (he's just jealous that i'm getting another one tomorrow)...but is that ok to send a pic of a city skyline??? Also a pic of the Chattahoochie River that he wants tatooed as well...geez these requaests are getting to be a little much!  :wc26:

you should be fine sending them as long as no maps or anything of the type..lol...just the pics..
and im jealous tooooooo..i want my first tat...this is soooo not fair...lol..

love ya

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
Crowe, if you are printing these things off the net, remove all the url's from the copies, just cut them off.