• April 22, 2018, 01:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102443 times)

Offline me

• Support Staff
Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
at lurios2 - There are lots of books that are restricted by IDOC for various reasons

Ex:  The Art of War, The Art of Seduction, 48 Laws of Power, Blood in Blood out...etc....  just to name a few.  

Your best bet is to call the facility he is at and ask first.  

Offline eb2008

• 1+1=3
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
Crowe29--- That should be fine to send to him.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
 :wc38: eb!  :wc30:

Offline lurios2

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
at lurios2 - There are lots of books that are restricted by IDOC for various reasons

Ex:  The Art of War, The Art of Seduction, 48 Laws of Power, Blood in Blood out...etc....  just to name a few.  

Your best bet is to call the facility he is at and ask first.  

That's funny you should say that, because he had me buy him The Art of War, and I bought also The 48 Laws of Power, and both were returned. After that, I don't buy books unless I know for sure he can get them.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline eb2008

• 1+1=3
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
 :wc11: Crowe29  :wc71:

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
so i'm reading this really funny book called "Big Trouble" by Dave Barry and there's this one tiny part (like maybe a page) that describes a security system malfunction during a lightning storm at a prison and the inmates basically walk right out of the facility...this has nothing to do with the actual plot of the book...just a side note to the story...now i know my B would love to read this book as it's funny as hell and it would really lighten up his days...should i send it to him...or maybe just tear that page out (oh well)??? what are ya'lls opinions on this??? p.s. i highly recommend reading this book...laugh out loud funny!  :wc35:

Offline bmonska

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
You could always send it and let him know you sent it so if he doesn't get it you'll expect it returned in the mail. Or, call the mailroom first and ask them if they have a banned book list and to see if that one is on it. If it's not then I'd send it.

Offline lurios2

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
If it's that tiny of a part of the book, I doubt it would be on a banned list. I would send it.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline Lmkarpan

• Sept 9, 2013 we will be reuinted :)
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
does anyone know if you can send cards that play music?  i have a hallmark card that plays when it opens but not sure if that would be allowed?

Offline scotts baby 08

• <3 he is my Heart, he is my Best Friend, he is my Life, he is my World. He is my Soul Mate. <3
  • Yesterday isn't here soon enough!
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
sorry hun, most dont allow cards with music, inserts, glued or taped on, glittery, or anything that is added onto a card..
you can call the mail room at the facility that your LO is at, and ask them what is allowed..

:wc30:
Never take today or tomorrow for granted!

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
scotts: what about post-its??? my B and me are doing this correspondence ged prep thing together n sometimes i need to flag something or suggest what he should practice...can i stick 'em on his worksheets???

Lmkarpan: if you need to send smthg in a manila envelope, take the metal majiggy off first...be careful of leaving lipstick marks on mail...oh, no  stickers...and if you must perfume the paper, the best advice i got is to spray your hands well and run the paper through them. If there's anything else hon, just ask :)

Offline scotts baby 08

• <3 he is my Heart, he is my Best Friend, he is my Life, he is my World. He is my Soul Mate. <3
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
crowe..sorry hun, no post-its either...they have glue on them..no tape, no stickers..nothing like that..it sucks but ya, thats IDOC for ya..

hugs and prayers and lots of love

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
Oh yeah! duh! what would i do without u scotts??? me and my mail would be banned for eternity, hahaha!
oh, before i forget...no drawings on the outside of the envelope...they can draw on their envelope, you can't draw on yours...for some reason the mailrooms don't like it...if there's ever any doubt, always call and ask :)

Offline scotts baby 08

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »
yes true crowe...lol...

and you are correct about drawing on the envelopes..but i found away around on mine..been doing it to different prisons and county ..but on the back of the envelope, i write a little saying, something of love, or even a small bible verse pertaining to love and i draw hearts all around it..yes in ink..lol..but its still little doodles..and it works..and i dont cover the whole back of the envelope either..just in the middle..

love and hugs..

Offline Ira

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
My mother-in-law send a music card to my husband for his b-day. He got it, but without music )) They simply removed the mechanism  :wc7:

Offline lch313

« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
Here's a head scratcher for ya. Why would construction paper be considered contraband?
Faith, Hope and Love abides....But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor. 13:13

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »
Here's a head scratcher for ya. Why would construction paper be considered contraband?

Did you send it in with something on it or plain?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »

I don't know, but since we aren't allowed to send in writing paper, I'm not surprised that construction paper isn't allowed either.

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
Construction paper is likely banned due to some types of drugs ("blotter paper") can be distributed by papers with that type of consistency.  Just my guess.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
scotts: what about post-its??? my B and me are doing this correspondence ged prep thing together n sometimes i need to flag something or suggest what he should practice...can i stick 'em on his worksheets???

Lmkarpan: if you need to send smthg in a manila envelope, take the metal majiggy off first...be careful of leaving lipstick marks on mail...oh, no  stickers...and if you must perfume the paper, the best advice i got is to spray your hands well and run the paper through them. If there's anything else hon, just ask :)

Must be another prison specific rule because I always leave the metal "majiggy" intact and it's not a problem at BMR.