• April 22, 2018, 01:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?  (Read 102443 times)

Offline Puzzled

Re: What is Considered Contraband in Mail?
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »
You could also take the glued pictures to a color copier facility and have them copy the sheets you glued with pictures or do dahs. 
A group of friends and I put together a picture scarpbook for a friend with pictures, stickers, and other scrapbook materials on the pages.  One of our friends took them to Kinkos or someplace with color copying and had copies made so we all got a copy of the original as well.  The quality was great (just  like the original)  minus all the glue and do dahs.  You could also do it on a plain black and white copier but I don't know how good the finished quality would be?  Anyway, it's a way to get it to him. 

As for mailrooms my LO says each facility has it's set of rules of what can and cannot be sent.  But also within the facility it depends on who's checking the mail that day also.  Some are stricter then others.  I sent a fishing/hunting magazine which he got the first time, however the second time he was told he couldn't have them because there were pictures of weapons (fishing knives and hunting rifles) Like he's going to cut them out and do what with them????   :wc15:
“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”

Offline brandyt

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
Ok thanks  I'll try kinkos then ! ok I'm happy again thanks you guys!
Whatever it takes, or how my heart breaks, I'll be right here waiting for you.

Offline Ira

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
Yeah, I have the same problem with magazines!! My l/o loves fishing, and I sent him a lot of those while he was in Cook County with no problem, but for some reason for the last month he was in there they denied magazines twice!!! For the same reason - weapons showing. SO????? Well... I did not try to send them again to his parent facility yet.. I think I'll try to bring one with me the next time I go visit and ask.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
Yeah, I have the same problem with magazines!! My l/o loves fishing, and I sent him a lot of those while he was in Cook County with no problem, but for some reason for the last month he was in there they denied magazines twice!!! For the same reason - weapons showing. SO????? Well... I did not try to send them again to his parent facility yet.. I think I'll try to bring one with me the next time I go visit and ask.

If the magazine you are sending/taking him has any contraband pictures in it, they will be denied.. so if you look first and take those ads out, he will be allowed to have it.. I sent a fishing catalog in once and it had some ads for knives and it was banned until I took those pages out.

Contraband pics like knives, guns, etc.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Ira

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
I will have to try to find one for only fishing (because there are a lot of pictures with guns in hunting magazines  :wc1: )

Offline LmA924

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
Just a quick question. he want's me to send some info about house arrest, i found it on the doc website, would that be ok? or should i not do it.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Just a quick question. he want's me to send some info about house arrest, i found it on the doc website, would that be ok? or should i not do it.
I believe you can send info like that. You just need to either tear off or mark out any website address that prints on the top or bottom of the pages you've printed. I have sent my hubby articles and info on the latest MGT stuff and he got it without a problem.

Offline LmA924

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2011, 07:05:22 AM »
Thank you so much for your response! i appreciate it.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
M mentioned that he would like to have a landscaper's stencil to use for some projects. They are usually a thin plastic. I'm thinking something like that would be a no-no. Any thoughts?

Offline bmonska

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
I have always thought to myself "If I think it MIGHT be considered contraband, then it probably is" at least in IDOC's eyes. If you send it and it got sent back I would think no harm done but at the same time I would hope that IDOC doesn't consider it a weapon and start to watch his mail and maybe phone calls more carefully. I'm just very suspect of IDOC to begin with so it's something I wouldn't put past them. Then again, he may get it and no one says a word. I guess if you really are torn, call the mail room at his facility and ask them. They would know best as to whether or not it would be accepted or returned.

Offline eb2008

• 1+1=3
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
I think so too, only because almost everything thing can be used as a weapon now-a-days.

Offline jna

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
I know that dictionaries are considered contraband.
My best friend, my soul mate, my husband
Home by June 2014 if he gets the 6 months SSC

Offline bmonska

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
Maybe the dictionary thing is specific to certain facilities? I was able to send a bible dictionary and a regular Websters dictionary to hubby and that was while he was in receiving at Graham. He got them both and was able to take them with him to Pittsfield.

Offline jna

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
We sent my husband a websters and it was returned as contraband from Graham r&c. last week
My best friend, my soul mate, my husband
Home by June 2014 if he gets the 6 months SSC

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
Most facilities do not allow you to send them a regular dictionary simply because they sell them through the commissary.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
Ahhhh so my hubby's got overlooked by a mail room person by accident. Oopsie on them!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
Ahhhh so my hubby's got overlooked by a mail room person by accident. Oopsie on them!

He was in R&C and they don't usually them shop for things like that while in R&C, but you did get lucky!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline lurios2

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
Ok, so J asked me to send him a book on boxing because he likes the sport and thinks it would be a good exercise to learn. I'm thinking that they might not allow it since it's essentially teaching him how to box/fight. He says that it should pass. I buy him books through ebay and I cant return them if they dont accept them (I've have 2 books denied that he swore he could get). So Im asking my IPT crew for some insight. What do you guys think? :wc13:  :wc14:
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline bmonska

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
Hmm, considering this is a prison it would be sent to, if I worked in the mailroom I don't think I'd let that book pass. They might think he was up to something or preparing to fight someone rather than see it as exercise...that's just what I thought immediately after reading your post. I would call the mailroom directly on that one.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
I wrote a paper for my psychosexual development class about the impact of incarceration on sex and intimacy...basically it's about my fiancee and me and how we cope plus a bunch of theories and research relevant to the topic...he'd really like to read it...would that be ok for me to send to him???