• April 22, 2018, 01:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: 50%, 85%, or 100% Sentencing Guidelines Chart  (Read 120273 times)

Offline Bonita1234

Re: 50%, 85%, or 100% Sentencing Guidelines Chart
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
It used to say 1/12/2012  was the Projected Discharge Date,  but now it says To Be Determined because he is waiting to see the parole board Oct 12 at Stateville on a parole violation..

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
The PRB will look at his violation and determine if there will be any punishment given. You'll have to wait for the outcome, and then check his new parole discharge date.

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
I don't know if this is the right thread in which to post this question, but my L/O was sentenced to 2 years and though it was a sex offense, he was eligible to serve 50% of his sentence, which is one year.  However, at all the plea bargain meetings, both the district attorney and his criminal defense lawyer said he would only serve 9 months.  I explained that MGT was not available, but they both stated that he would be eligible for "overcrowding" or other reductions in his sentence.  Upon arriving at R&C, his outdate is one year, not nine months, and he is freaking out.  His lawyer now states he never promised a 9 month sentence and any reductions don't show up until closer to his out date.  Can someone explain to me how we will know if he gets a three month reduction, or how do we find out?  He would not have taken the plea, if he had thought he had to serve the full year.  Help!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
I don't know if this is the right thread in which to post this question, but my L/O was sentenced to 2 years and though it was a sex offense, he was eligible to serve 50% of his sentence, which is one year.  However, at all the plea bargain meetings, both the district attorney and his criminal defense lawyer said he would only serve 9 months.  I explained that MGT was not available, but they both stated that he would be eligible for "overcrowding" or other reductions in his sentence.  Upon arriving at R&C, his outdate is one year, not nine months, and he is freaking out.  His lawyer now states he never promised a 9 month sentence and any reductions don't show up until closer to his out date.  Can someone explain to me how we will know if he gets a three month reduction, or how do we find out?  He would not have taken the plea, if he had thought he had to serve the full year.  Help!

Unfortunately, after all this time, lawyers are still promising people about good time/reductions and there are simply none.  Your LO can see if he can get into any classes/programs and he could then earn some extra time off his sentence, but other than that, there is nothing else right now they can get credit for, unless a new MGT/SMGT program is initiated and at this time there is nothing that we know of.

If you have a copy of his Mittimus, check it and see what it says on there, that is the official sentencing paperwork, but I doubt it would contain anything about any extra time.

Note:  MGT and SMGT were the two credits, 3 months each, total 6 months, that were awarded for good behavior and overcrowding, but both were suspended over 20 months ago.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
Here is the descriptions of the ONLY two forms of GT that were awarded, other than the 50% reduction in sentence for certain convictions.  The only other credit/s for time off a sentence are from classes/programs and again, only 50% convictions can earn those credits.

These two MGT & SMGT were awarded in 3 month increments, but not guaranteed.   If the inmate got into any trouble, all or part of the 6 month GT could be taken away at anytime and possibly never given back.

Statutory Good Time refers to the percentage of time an inmate must spend incarcerated. Inmates serve 50%, 75%, 85%, or 100% of their sentence.  This is determined by statute and is based on the offense that was committed.  Inmates may lose some of that good time based on their behavior while in custody.

Meritorious Good Time (MGT) and Supplemental Meritorious Good Time (SMGT) refer to the discretionary time (up to 180 days) that the director may grant to an eligible inmate based on his or her behavior while incarcerated. Please note that the award of meritorious good time is not automatic; it is at the discretion of the director.  Inmates convicted of certain offenses are not eligible for this type of good time credit.

The MGT/SMGT program was suspended in December of 2009 and terminated in January of 2010.  The program is currently under review.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Ira

« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
We were in the same situation. My husband was offered 4 years at 50%, and he's already spent 6 months in county, so our layer said that he will only have to serve a year (4 years at 50% is 2 years - 6 months for county - 6 months for good time), that was the only reason he agreed to it..... And when he got to his parent prison, we found out that MGT got cancelled quite some time before that..... Very frustrating, I know. But there's really nothing you can do now.... So maybe he will be able to get into some classes and earn some time off that way.

Offline bigsis1

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
I know this topic is pretty old but I have been doing some research on this topic and found that the truth in sentencing was placed June 18, 1998, however that law was not to go in effect for 6 months. Only to be found unconstitutional in Jan. 1999 and redone. Do anyone know if anyone committed a crime during that 6 month time period should've been sentenced under the old law?

Offline Ms Tee

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »
My fiance is serving 6 years in idoc with 85% will he be able to get the three months off his time but he also got in trouble and got c-grade ticket so will that mess with his sentence he got lock up on 11\10\12 and his out date say12\13\15 anit he doing all his time.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
My fiance is serving 6 years in idoc with 85% will he be able to get the three months off his time but he also got in trouble and got c-grade ticket so will that mess with his sentence he got lock up on 11\10\12 and his out date say12\13\15 anit he doing all his time.

85% convictions are not eligible for additional goodtime, only the 15% they are given at sentencing.

Offline Ms Tee

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
So he not gone to get the three months good time at the end of his sentence?

Offline Ms Tee

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »
So out of 61 months and with the 15% off when is his out date.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
So out of 61 months and with the 15% off when is his out date.

12\13\15

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
This is just an informational statement for the sentences.

I have an aquaintance that was recently convicted in Madison County.  The judge ordered his sentence to be served at 80% not 85%.  I do not know if this has to do with the new rules that will eventually go into effect for credits and right now I am assuming people sentenced at 80% will not be eligible for any additional good conduct credit or school credit just like the people sentenced to 85%.  I am going to look into this a little bit and see what I can find for sentences served at 80% unless someone already has and I just missed it.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2012, 07:42:24 AM »
This is just an informational statement for the sentences.

I have an aquaintance that was recently convicted in Madison County.  The judge ordered his sentence to be served at 80% not 85%.  I do not know if this has to do with the new rules that will eventually go into effect for credits and right now I am assuming people sentenced at 80% will not be eligible for any additional good conduct credit or school credit just like the people sentenced to 85%.  I am going to look into this a little bit and see what I can find for sentences served at 80% unless someone already has and I just missed it.

I have heard and seen here on IPT of people being convicted on 75% but never 80%, please let us know what you find out.  I would think it would have to be in a statue.

Offline jandm0215

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
I am recently new to this site and will most likely be going to idoc soon for aggravated dui. my question is during parole since a person is still considered to be under legal custody of idoc does the parole time count towards the 85% under truth in sentencing laws?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
I am recently new to this site and will most likely be going to idoc soon for aggravated dui. my question is during parole since a person is still considered to be under legal custody of idoc does the parole time count towards the 85% under truth in sentencing laws?

Your 85% served inside is one thing, it will be 85% of the total time they give you, example, 8 years you would do 6 years 8 months, then you would still have to do 2-4 years on MSR when you get out.    I don't know how much parole time they will give you, but once in, it will all be stated on your IDOC profile.

Offline jandm0215

« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »

Your 85% served inside is one thing, it will be 85% of the total time they give you, example, 8 years you would do 6 years 8 months, then you would still have to do 2-4 years on MSR when you get out.    I don't know how much parole time they will give you, but once in, it will all be stated on your IDOC profile.

thank you forevermah i was just curious about that because how it words it on the idoc website by using the words "legal custody" i wasnt sure if the MSR time could be used towards the 85% or not so on a 2 year sentence (last and only plea offer) with i think my lawyer either said 1 or 2 years MSR and 2 years probation i would be serving around 20.4 months in idoc plus the MSR and probation?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
If you got a two year sentence you would do a little over 20 months, then you would have to do the MSR (parole) on top of that, whatever it would be 1 or 2 years. Once you are done with parole, you would be free and clear of IDOC.  I don't know what probation they are talking about.