• April 24, 2018, 07:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....  (Read 36603 times)

Offline jaf

Re: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
Jaf- Western will not accept a priority box being mailed from friends or family. I found out the hard way, it was returned to me unopened 2 weeks later.

Well "lucky" for me, my son will be spending his last few months at Pinckneyville.  (long story, , , as usual)  Maybe it will work there, but I'm doubting it, though.   Doggone it!  I really want him to finish the correspondence High School before he gets home.   

Oh well, live and learn!

Offline meangene

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
I need to know if i send books from home to my son, do I write his name and/or his number inside the books? 

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Anytime I send anything books, magazines or pictures I put his name and number. Even when I drop off magazines I write his Info on those also.

Offline coasterman

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »
I recently sent my LO at Stateville paperback books, through media mail and was really pleased at the reasonable price ($3.00). So today when trying to send magazines and asking to have them sent via media mail the PO employee asked me what I'm sending; I told the truth and said magazines and she told me quite abruptly NOPE, media mail is only for books. So I couldn't help but wonder why I just didn't tell her there were books inside, but as my luck would be, they would open the envelope up and discover magazines.......just sayin'

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »
I ran into the same problem sending magazines to my son.  The cost of the postage to send them was almost as much as the item was.  So now I just drop them off when I visit.  I also have magazines subscription that he likes sent directly to him and he has been receiving them with no problems

Offline coasterman

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:30 AM »
I have more magazines/books that i haven't sent yet, but I'm planning a visit (first one) very soon; does that mean I can bring those items with me and give them to him them; not sure of the process....

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »
You can bring up to 5, I think, when you visit. They will go through them and then send them up to his cell I believe.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »
At Taylorville I can only leave 5 items at a time.  Also please be aware some items are not acceptable.  But I am pretty sure they cannot receive anything while in receiving so be aware of that.