• April 22, 2018, 05:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....  (Read 36566 times)

Offline Pamalynn

Re: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
Neddie,

I'm not sure if this will apply to you, but it sure was aggravating for me at first. When J was in county jail I could not bring him anything. I ordered books for him thru Barnes & Noble several times & I think he got them once out of three tries. I would order multiple books at a time because if you spent $25 you got free shipping. Unfortunately if one item was not allowed the entire shipment would be refused. Once they were refused because I had accidently ordered a hardcover book, second time one of the books had a spiral binding. I know prison is different then county, but the spiral binding is a no-no there too. I try to bring the books with me now, I think the rules may vary by prison. My husband is in Jacksonville and they allow hard covers, & used books  :wc27: so much cheaper. They have however changed the rules from 5 to 3 books per visit. Also be sure to put your son's name & number on them (you probably already knew that) :wc71:
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline wildcat7

• The Banned Mrs.
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
Not sure about other centers, but BMRCC allows mail/books, newspapers, etc., to be mailed in the flat rate Express and Priority packs and envelopes. I am not sure if this includes the padded USPS envelopes, so make sure you check with your specific CC. The materials from the post office are free, so you can save your money instead of buying manila envelopes (unless you have to use them at your LO's facility).
Also, there is no limit on how much can go in the flat rate pack, per the USPS, just as long as it closes properly. I am not sure about mailing hard cover books, but they can be dropped at BMR's mail box in the lobby. No wire bound books either and books can be new or used. Remove the plastic if they are covered in plastic just to be on the safe side.
A word of caution on ordering books from Amazon, etc. I remember seeing a post on this site saying that someone purchased a used book and had it sent to the facility. The previous owner evidently hid cash in their books (I do that too!) and forgot to get it out before selling it to Amazon. Can't remember if the inmate got in trouble or not but just be careful to not have ANYTHING tucked away in books that you send. Flip through them to be on the safe side and remove loose items, especially cash. Guess they would consider that contraband. Just a thought...

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
I have a question? When sending magazines or whatever in the large manila envelopes are we supposed to remove the metal clasp or will they do it? I have been pulling it off because I didn't want it to be refused, but I'd rather leave it on if it's ok.
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
Neddie untll your son gets out of R&C do not send anything in boxes.  Once he is sent to his parent prison, you can then call them and ask what they allow, some of the regular CC's do NOT allow boxes either.  
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
I have a question? When sending magazines or whatever in the large manila envelopes are we supposed to remove the metal clasp or will they do it? I have been pulling it off because I didn't want it to be refused, but I'd rather leave it on if it's ok.

I always left them on ... they'll remove it if they want.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »
Thank you Mah, boy you're quick! :wc60:

Offline Puzzled

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
If a facility does allow boxes, make sure you are shipping to the physical address and not a PO Box.  They cannot deliver boxes to a PO Box and it will get returned.  Also if all your sending is books in a brown draft envelope you can request Media Mail which is cheaper.  But only books qualify for the rate, no magazines or other items like letters, cards.  They say it's not First Class but if you live in state the delivery time is the same and it's cheaper.
“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”

Offline wildcat7

• The Banned Mrs.
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
...make sure you are shipping to the physical address and not a PO Box.  They cannot deliver boxes to a PO Box and it will get returned.  Also if all your sending is books in a brown draft envelope you can request Media Mail which is cheaper.  But only books qualify for the rate, no magazines or other items like letters, cards.  They say it's not First Class but if you live in state the delivery time is the same and it's cheaper.
Good point, Puzzled. Big Muddy changed the inmate mailing address from the PO box to the street address a few months ago.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »
  This topic is about sending mail by Media mail,  let's get i :wc105:

Offline LadyjH

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
I don't know if anyone has tried this but I have bought books from half.com and sent them directly to my husband.  He has gotten everyone.  Just thought I would share that little bit of info.

Offline boobah418

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »
Hey all! im sending my l/o a package (well in manilla envelope ) for the first time tomorrow..this is what will be in it  1 crossword book , 1 wordsearch book and 1 sudoku book! 1 postcard with a short lil message on it, a bunch of court papers and like 14 pictures. is that all okay? im thinkin so and can i send that all by media mail since its cheaper ? and stupid question but there a  pic of me and him and hes smokin a cig in the pic is that okay to send? cuz i know they cant have any pics of alcohol!  is that too much for 1 envelope?? and does it go by weight cuz i heard media mail was 2 somethin always. any estimated time of how long it will take to get to him cuz i heard media mail is also faster. btw hes at logan! thanks all ! :)

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
No, that will not be able to be sent at the media mail rate. The postcard and pictures mess that up.

I have sent M envelopes with more filling than you are planning, and I have never had a problem with the mailing. Generally, the manila envelopes are delivered to inmates sooner, but it can still take a week for things to reach him.

Offline boobah418

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
ok what if i dont tell them that the postcard and pics r in there there but still do media mail rate  ? or do they check like  whats in there  the post office peeps. am i suppose to have the envelope open or can i have it sealed up when i go there?

Offline freya

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
boobah418: I have sent things media mail and they never question it, but I think each post office is different. I send pics, I put them inside one of the magazines or books, they always go thru. Good luck to you.

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
If you can not get the media rate I would suggest getting one of their envelopes/boxes that they advertise if it fits it ships for one rate.  I normally send my l/o stuff in the one that is 8x10 or 11 and it is around $5 because almost always when I send stuff the person at the post office will ask me if there are magazines etc and I just can't seem to fib to them to get the media rate so I just pack the envelope full of stuff to get my $5 worth, I will send magazine, letters, pics etc.  Media rate is much cheaper but sometimes they will ask you what exactly is in there. 

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
I send a large manila envelope about once a week, I print up jokes, puzzles, & articles I think J may find of interest. I usually also put in a card & pictures. I send them 2nd day 1st class & it's pretty reasonable - almost always less than $ 2.50 and he gets them faster than the books & magazines I hand deliver to the prison. I read somewhere once (I'm sure on here) that the mailroom tends to want to get the larger envelopes out quicker. It seems to be the case for us. I also like that they have a do-it-yourself machine to weigh & post the envelope yourself. It's very easy to do & you don't have to wait in line.  :spider: (I just love Halloween)

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
Media mail is one of the slowest processed mail. It's the cheapest and sometimes it arrives the same as regular but the time frame on media states up to 8 days I believe. I use media mail on my ebay sells.

Offline boobah418

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
i went to the post office today to ship out the envelope and it was 3.26 not bad to me ! and i was able to ship media mail she asked me what was in there and i said court papers and wordsearch books i didnt mention the letter/postcard and pics ! she said it can take up to 5 days and its slower bcuz its cheaper so i hope it gets there okay and doesnt get lost or shipped back or somethin! thanks all for the replies :)

Offline jaf

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »
I just found out today that there are special Priority Mail boxes that go out for less than the regular ones - if your LO is in your "region" 

I needed a bigger package for a huge, heavy school book (that wouldn't fit in a manila evvelope) and as I was looking at the regular boxes, the lady at the counter wasn't busy, so she asked where it was going and I told her.  She then told me about the Regional Rate boxes.   She had to get them from back in a different room.  Are these new?   Anybody heard of them? 

The one I needed was 13x11x2  and the same rules apply - if it fits, it ships. . . It cost $6.19 for this size.  The box I was going to have to use at the regular price was $12 something. 

Good to know - - - - - Now, after reading this thread to see if there was any other posts about this, all I have to do is wait to see if his facility accepts boxes. . . AND if it is accepted through a PO box.   

Oops,  I don't remember reading about these rules!   Time will tell.

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Jaf- Western will not accept a priority box being mailed from friends or family. I found out the hard way, it was returned to me unopened 2 weeks later.