• April 22, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....  (Read 36565 times)

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
  • That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!
Re: Sending Printed Material by Media Mail ....
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »
Media mail was designed for transcripts, books, tapes or cd's. Not to be used for magazines because of ads in them. You might get away with it, but if the USPS decides to open it up for inspection, it can get returned to you.

There's a topic on sending jewelry, but basically it gets directed to the property dept. to be checked in. It has to be a religious item, like the cross & it can't be over $25. for necklace & charm. You have to include a receipt in the box. I'd suggest copying receipt & insuring it.
Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.

Offline codyandbecca

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
I believe that does depend on the prison that your loved one is in in regards to the jewelry.  My husband is in BMRCC and the cross and chain can be of a $50 value. You must ship it in a box and on the outside of the box you have to write gold chain or silver chain or whatever it is. You must also call the chaplain and speak to them about what religion your loved one is and what charms are acceptable for that particular religion. My husband and the chaplain at that particular prison has told me that you cannot send a cross if you are not a christian. So I would just call and double verify before you send anything in.

Offline becca

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
Gosh I dont have a receipt for his necklace and cross.  I will have to ask him to ask the chaplin how to do it.
Why would someone wear a cross if they were not a christian  ummm?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55:50 AM »
The woman at the PO is the on that suggested I send the books/magazines in Media Mail and that is how I always sent them in. I sealed the brown envelopes and on the front printed Media Mail, never had anything returned and they normally got there as quick as regular mail.  When I sent media mail, it was cheaper than any options.     

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Favored23

• Thank you Lord!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
I just sent a chain and cross to one of the Christian brothers at Dixon and I did not have to send reciepts or declare any amount on it.  I did write personal property on the outside of envelope and he got it in 2 days.
Psalm 146:7 (NIV)

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free!!

Offline wildcat7

• The Banned Mrs.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
I believe that does depend on the prison that your loved one is in in regards to the jewelry.  My husband is in BMRCC and the cross and chain can be of a $50 value. You must ship it in a box and on the outside of the box you have to write gold chain or silver chain or whatever it is. You must also call the chaplain and speak to them about what religion your loved one is and what charms are acceptable for that particular religion. My husband and the chaplain at that particular prison has told me that you cannot send a cross if you are not a christian. So I would just call and double verify before you send anything in.
Hey there codyandbecca! I am going to send my husband a cross (silver with matching chain) so it can be there before Valentines Day. I will probably just run out to KMart or WalMart and buy it since it can't be more than $50 in value. Now, when I sent his wedding band this past December, I did not send the receipt or write what it was on the box. Was that because it was his wedding band? I guess I better follow your lead and write on the jewelry box so they won't send it back. Take care!

Offline becca

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:15 AM »
I sent my son his cross necklace and put his name inside the bag within a small box within a bigger box  haha and he got it within like 3 days.

Offline jenplus2

• Appreciate & love now, tomorrow's not guaranteed
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
I have been reading posts and trying to familiarize myself with everything (so much to learn and take in) :wc13: Is there a post on here or can someone tell me what exactly we are allowed to send as far as printed material? Such as puzzle books, magazines, catalogs, paper back/hard back books, those kinds of things. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere. Thank you in advance.
~The "Not Knowing" and/or "Uncertainty" is the hardest part of any situation~
~I still have dreams, many in fact. However, as time marches on they become more focused and realistic~

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
Puzzle books are ok, as are most magazines. Some facilities allow periodicals such as Playboy, but there can  be no pictures of penetration. Some prisons do not allow hardcover books, so it is best to call before buying/sending. Catalogs are fine as well.

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »
Ok. So I can mail in books myself? I was always under the impression that books needed to be purchased and mailed online store. Am I wrong? I am, aren't I?
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
Ok. So I can mail in books myself? I was always under the impression that books needed to be purchased and mailed online store. Am I wrong? I am, aren't I?

Yes, yes and yes.

Offline wildcat7

• The Banned Mrs.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »
It is probably less expensive if you buy the books and leave them whenever you visit. That way, you don't have to pay for postage or worry about the package being lost in the mail. At Big Muddy, they have a mail box that we can leave newspapers and books in (up to five per person per visit). So when I go visit my husband this week, I will have fifteen books/papers/magazines/comics for him to have. When you mail them, there is no limit on the number of items in the package. Verify with his institution to make sure there is no limit on how many books can be mailed in a package.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »
If you do mail them in, use the manila envelopes, as some prisons do not allow boxes anymore.  I would call the mail room first and ask ....
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
Thanks everyone. Here I've been dealing with IDOC for a year and did not know that. Good grief. Thank goodness I know now.
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline NeddieB

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
I'm newbie and just learned something today when I went to the mailbox and thought I would share in case everyone doesn't already know.  Although I'm sure it's on this website and I haven't seen it yet.  I mailed my son two books in a United States Postal box (very small box) first class mail (so he would get it quicker) and it was sitting in my mailbox today stating return to sender...no boxes allowed.  He is at Stateville RC.  What scares me now is I ordered books for him via Amazon and I am now afraid they will be returned as well.  I believe Amazon sends their shipments in boxes.  I guess I will wait and see if they are returned as well.  Today my frustration level has definitely risen!!  I am praying for patience today....lets see if it comes :)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
I'm newbie and just learned something today when I went to the mailbox and thought I would share in case everyone doesn't already know.  Although I'm sure it's on this website and I haven't seen it yet.  I mailed my son two books in a United States Postal box (very small box) first class mail (so he would get it quicker) and it was sitting in my mailbox today stating return to sender...no boxes allowed.  He is at Stateville RC.  What scares me now is I ordered books for him via Amazon and I am now afraid they will be returned as well.  I believe Amazon sends their shipments in boxes.  I guess I will wait and see if they are returned as well.  Today my frustration level has definitely risen!!  I am praying for patience today....lets see if it comes :)

Sorry this happened, I know I always tell people to send books in manila envelopes and once you get to visit,  you can bring up to five with you, that will be given to your loved one once they go through property.  This saves tremendously on shipping costs.

I just saw in my post, two above, to send them in manila envelopes.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »

It was my understanding that if they were sent from the actual place you bought them from (straight from Amazon to them) that was ok because they were sealed at the place who shipped the order and no one else had opened them except for the mail room since they had been shipped. I'm not positive though. Someone with an LO in Stateville will be able to answer your question better, or and Admin or staff might be able to.

Offline NeddieB

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Yes I did see your post about using manila envelopes as boxes may not be allowed.  However I just read it this evening  :wc96:   At least now we don't have to wonder about Stateville, they will send boxes back for sure.  I am trying to learn as much as I can through IPT and have already learned so much!  You are all awesome and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining and updating this site.  When you are new to the whole system it so daunting to try and find out anything.  Thank goodness for IPT!!!!

Offline NeddieB

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
Sorry to be a pest, but I forgot to ask if I can send a letter with the books or is that not allowed?  Now I'm worried about doing something wrong and getting it sent back.  Thanks.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
Sorry to be a pest, but I forgot to ask if I can send a letter with the books or is that not allowed?  Now I'm worried about doing something wrong and getting it sent back.  Thanks.

Yes, you can put your letters in the envelopes.  Just remember that Stateville mail is slow, sometimes the guys don't get their mail until they are moved to their parent prisons, with that being said, they need your letters reassuring them and letting them know YOU are OK .... keep writing