• April 22, 2018, 01:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Transfer to Vienna  (Read 1677 times)

Offline LynnW

Transfer to Vienna
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
My LO has been in Pontiac medium security for 4 years and just yesterday was told he is being moved to Vienna minimum security. Haven't talked to him personally yet but needless to say we, his family aren't happy about the transfer at this time. Pontiac is only 75 miles from us, Vienna is 4.5 hours away! He is a model prisoner at Pontiac. Could this be a good move for him? How do we find out why hes being transferred?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Transfer to Vienna
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
My LO has been in Pontiac medium security for 4 years and just yesterday was told he is being moved to Vienna minimum security. Haven't talked to him personally yet but needless to say we, his family aren't happy about the transfer at this time. Pontiac is only 75 miles from us, Vienna is 4.5 hours away! He is a model prisoner at Pontiac. Could this be a good move for him? How do we find out why hes being transferred?

The minimum facilities allow much more movement and a dorm living quarters instead of 2 man cells. your loved one would need to ask his counselor why they're transferring him. I would imagine it's because he's stayed out of trouble

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Mine just got transferred to Vienna from Hill.  Same thing, he was a model prisoner at Hill, but Hill's only two hours away (and has an amtrak station 10 minutes away for non-driver me), and Vienna is 5.5 hours away and I won't be able to get there : (

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Mine just got transferred to Vienna from Hill.  Same thing, he was a model prisoner at Hill, but Hill's only two hours away (and has an amtrak station 10 minutes away for non-driver me), and Vienna is 5.5 hours away and I won't be able to get there : (

Haleyjen, I am a southern Illinois local. Greyhound does make a stop in Vienna, at the McDonalds which is just a couple of miles away from the prison. You could take the Amtrak to Carbondale & Greyhound from Carbondale to Vienna.  There is a local shuttle bus service, Rides Mass Transit which go to Vienna as well(you have to search the Williamson County routes even though Vienna is in Johnson County - it's southern Illinois so things don't always make sense down here), you would have to use Rides Mass Transit to go Carbondale to Marion, transfer, Marion to Vienna. Uber is also a possibility, we do now have Uber in so. Ill.
He's home!

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I check Uber and it said it didn't, but that's good to know!  I was more concerned of finding somewhere to stay - the bus from Carbondale is only in the late evening!  Also, I'm not traveling 6 hours without my phone and without a car I'd need somewhere to leave it during the visit!  Is there a decent hotel near the prison?

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
There are a couple of hotels/motels near the prison. There may not be Uber drivers in Vienna, but there are in Marion & Carbondale. Uber drivers go between the towns since nothing is very close together down here.
He's home!

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »
 :wc20:

Hello, you seem to be very knowledgeable of the Vienna area and I was wondering if you could help me. My husband is getting transferred to Vienna tomorrow. I already bought my airline tickets and is due to be there this weekend. I usually fly into Chicago O’Hare, because he was closer to there. Do you know if there is a airport that is near Vienna? I was told Kentucky was closer, but also heard that MIssouri is close. Any help that you can provide would’ve be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:54 PM »
Paducah Kentucky is less than an hour from Vienna and it has an airport Barkley regional airport.

Offline Mrs Dawson

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:07:24 PM »
Paducah Kentucky is less than an hour from Vienna and it has an airport Barkley regional airport.

Thank you so much! I just booked my ticket!

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
Yup, when I visited I stayed in Paducah, it's cute.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
Does anyone know if MP3 Players are allowed at Vienna?
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 04:27:27 PM »
Yup.  You can buy one from commissary.  Think it was about $75.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
Thank you for your reply....My son may get transferred there, he already has an Mp3 player, wonder if he could take it with him?

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
I think so, yes.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Thanks again for the information about Vienna....if he should get transferred, it will be a lot closer for us.....We are in Paducah, Ky.  Good luck to all of you!