• April 24, 2018, 07:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Mail to Pinckneyville  (Read 1293 times)

Offline BossPink

Mail to Pinckneyville
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
So, I haven't been able to find a specific post about PINCKNEYVILLE (still kinda new to the site, so I'm not sure if I'm just not lookin in the right places lol) .. sooo .. I figured I would make a post (and if need be, one of the ADMINS could move it haha). So I called down to Pinckneyville to get a little info since I am new to this - and mail (and phone calls) are our biggest communication these last couple months and the next few years - I am in Northern Indiana (so he's about 6+ hours a way .. blahhh). And I must throw in, as much as my bf complains about the CO's and the facility, the lady in the mail room is always soooo nice and patient!! :)
So here is what I've gathered from speaking to the lady in the mail room:
* BOOKS - u can send HARD AND SOFT - she didn't specify that they had to be NEW - the inmates do have a list (800 page long) in the library of BANNED publications that they can always look at and see if something they want is something they can get.
    ** she did say that they would SEND BACK if it's something NOT ALLOWED with a note stating WHY.
* MAGAZINES - anything is pretty much fine besides anything with penetration, gang related, knives, guns, drugs, alcohol - but if they're ADS (alcohol) they are pretty lenient on those - they know magazines will have ads in them. - GQ, SPORTS, MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, CARS, WEDDING, are some examples she gave me that are OK.
   (( there is NO LIMIT on how many BOOKS/MAGAZINES u can send - she said to go to the POST OFFICE and get one of their PRIORITY BOXES to mail them in if there's a stack of them u want to send at once ))
                                         ---> or u can bring them to visit and give to the GATE HOUSE <---
* u CAN spray some PERFUME on ur letters and/or cards - just NOT A LOT haha
* u CAN send it homemade cards and kids drawings - as long as there is NO glue, yarn, staples, paint, plastic, tape on them
* u CAN write in COLORED INK (not just black and blue like the county had mentioned to me)
* OVER-SIZED CARDS - up to 8x10 typically ok .. anything bigger do NOT send.
* PICTURES - in a normal sized envelope u can send up to 5 pictures, in a manila envelope u can send up to 20 pictures - make sure ur goodies are NOT showing (but can tease in the right way), no gang signs, no flipping off the camera, person cannot be drinking or smoking in the pics - crop, cover up with emojis/words, or cross out, no guns ..
 ----> i've also sent pics printed on computer paper along with pics and they still let him get it and i've printed out screen shots and news articles (his cousin was in a terrible car accident back in December and was the ONLY survivor besides the driver and they allowed him to get those as well)
* WEDDING BANDS AND CHAINS - wedding rings are ok and they can have chains and small pendants (inmate can ask Chaplin or counselor or specific size of pendant or specific length of chains) NOTHING too long and should be $50 value or less for each item. (She did NOT specify if a receipt would have to be mailed in with the items - I can always call back and ask.)
                 *-*-*- pretty much, if they can get it in COMMISSARY then u cannot send it -*-*-*
DO NOT SEND MONEY, EMPTY ENVELOPES, STAMPS, PAPER, FOOD, TOBACCO, PENCILS/PENS - THEY HAVE THAT OR CAN BUY THAT
       *------> as of TODAY (2/1/17) INCOMING MAIL is 2 weeks BEHIND (FINALLY bc it was STILL 3wks behind as of last week ahhhhh lol) and OUTGOING MAIL is 1 week BEHIND <------*
{{{ VIDEO VISITATIONS ARE ON THE WAY - THE GUY I SPOKE TO TODAY SAID HE'S NOT SURE HOW SOON THE FACILITY WILL HAVE THEM, BUT IT HAS BEEN ORDERED AND SHOULD BE SOON }}} <---. this DEFINITELY put a smile on my face since my LO is soooo far away!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS AS IT'S HELPING ME LOL  :wc30:
ALSO - Wednesdays he has gym so he gets an extra call in on that day .. which always seems to help bc if they don't roll his doors first, it's hard for him to get the phone in the mornings or in the evenings .. so he will skip playing basketball to call  :wc50:
It hurts not having u close, but it would hurt even more not having u at all!

Offline BossPink

Re: MAIL to PINCKNEYVILLE
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
i also make sure to write his NAME and NUMBER on everything i send - pics, magazines, printouts .. and i've recently been numbering the print outs and pics (1 of ___) so he knows if he got them all .. i sent some back in December and he didn't receive them all (and i've yet to get them back YET) .. and on all my envelopes and somewhere on the letters - i list everything i sent in that envelope! :)
It hurts not having u close, but it would hurt even more not having u at all!

Offline Kd1104

Re: Mail to Pinckneyville
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Hi I'm new to this whole thing. My fiance just got transferred to Pinckneyville and i plan to visit him as soon as his visit list gets approved. To anyone who has visited there, what is it like? Can i hold his hand or hug him during the visit?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 05:11:02 AM »
You can do a quick hug and kiss at beginning and end of visit. You can hold his hand during the visit.

Offline Kd1104

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
Thank you zachsmom for the info.