• April 24, 2018, 07:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending books/magazines to Pontiac medium security  (Read 885 times)

Offline hopeful123

Sending books/magazines to Pontiac medium security
« on: November 29, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »
Hello,

I wanted to get more information about sending books/magazines to my l/o @ pontiac medium security unit.  Here are a few questions:

1. What items are allowed? Can I send hardcover books?
2. Can we send more than 5 @ a time?
3. Should we put his IDOC number in each publication?
3. Do we have to mark it as Media Mail? OR, is that just a suggestion for cheaper shipping through USPS?

Thanks!

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Sending books/magazines to Pontiac medium security
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
It's always best to just call the prison and ask for the mail room. They'll tell you about which covers and how many can be sent. Most will allow hard cover, but not all. I personally always put my loved ones name and idoc number on the inside cover. Don't send anything with alcohol or hunting stuff. No, you don't have to put media mail on it.

Offline hopeful123

Re: Sending books/magazines to Pontiac medium security
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Thanks for your advice - I appreciate your help!