• April 22, 2018, 01:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Transferring from Menard Medium to Jacksonville  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Kerribarry2

Transferring from Menard Medium to Jacksonville
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
My LO has been approved for a transfer. He has been at Menard's medium unit for awhile now and this is his first transfer. How long will it take before he can have visitors again? How long until he can use the phone? Can anyone tell me what Jacksonville is like from personal experiences of visiting and what it was like for your LO?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Transferring from Menard Medium to Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
My LO has been approved for a transfer. He has been at Menard's medium unit for awhile now and this is his first transfer. How long will it take before he can have visitors again? How long until he can use the phone? Can anyone tell me what Jacksonville is like from personal experiences of visiting and what it was like for your LO?

He has to go through orientation when he first gets there, but thing should more along quickly for visiting and phone calls.  Not sure if they will make him fill ou t a new visitors list (if he wants to change anything YES).

Jacksonville isn't a bad place to be or visit, providing one follows the rules and does what they are suppose to.. It's a dorm type setting.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Kerribarry2

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:12:14 AM »
Thank you for the response! Went to visit yesterday and they said he was packing his stuff . we thankfully received a short visit but transferred him to Greene county work camp. He had only been in Jacksonville for about a week as then was transferred. Not that it is a bad thing, but he didn't put in for this transfer. Would you have any idea why this would happen? He has an aggregated dui serving 85%. Would he qualify to work off some of his time? I am new to all of this.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
Thank you for the response! Went to visit yesterday and they said he was packing his stuff . we thankfully received a short visit but transferred him to Greene county work camp. He had only been in Jacksonville for about a week as then was transferred. Not that it is a bad thing, but he didn't put in for this transfer. Would you have any idea why this would happen? He has an aggregated dui serving 85%. Would he qualify to work off some of his time? I am new to all of this.

With his conviction, he won't be able to work outside the camp on any crews, but they do move guys around at times and no, no one who goes to that camp, unless they take classes/programs (if eligible) or who has an 85% conviction, can get credit or more time off their conviction by going to a work camp.

There are less inmates at the work camp and he might actually like it better, you'll have to see after he has been there awhile.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”