• April 22, 2018, 01:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Mail Delivery Times?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline jmgb

Mail Delivery Times?
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Hi everyone! I was wondering what kind of delivery times you're all experiencing for mail within the IDOC these days... How quickly are your letters getting to your loved ones?

My own experience so far:
I sent a letter to my LO the day he went in to county, he got it within a couple days and called me to say he'd write when he got to R&C. He was sent to NRC and I received a letter from him after about a week or so. I sent a response and then he was unexpectedly transferred to his parent facility quite quickly (Sheridan), just a few days after I sent the letter. He's now been there a couple weeks. He's not able to call out yet, but he sent me a note making sure everything was okay because he hadn't gotten a response from me... :wc96: I sent him another letter in response about a week ago and haven't heard from him yet. Is it still taking 3-4 weeks for things to get to our loved ones these days? Is it normal for forwarding from R&C to take weeks? Do your letters ever get just totally lost and your LO's don't receive them at all?

:wc38:

Offline Citygirl1

Re: Mail Delivery Times?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »
Hello... My LO just got his Christmas card last week. He said mail is like a month behind where he's at.i just keep sending things and he eventually gets them. Hope that helps.

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
My husband is in Stateville and the mail is really behind, he told me that he hasn't received any of the magazines or books that I have sent except for one package.  The letters and cards I have sent seem to be getting to him quicker.  His letters to me have been coming 2-3 weeks later.

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
Ditto...Mine is also in Stateville and with Valentine's Day,the mail is definitely behind! It is taking him a good week or so to get my letters and I can only pray he gets his V-day card on time. I just keep the letters going out to him...Heck,they still haven't given him the magazines I brought to our visit on Feb.1st and usually he has them within the same week  :wc14: Once the holidays are over, things should get better with mail flow back and forth...Hang in there!!  :wc30:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline NikkiRobzz13

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
For anyone with LOs in Vandalia: I live about 4 hours north of Vandalia near Chicago. Not sure how long it takes for my boyfriend to get my letters, but I just received my first letter from him yesterday, June 6th. It was dated May 31st/June 1st, so mail coming from the prison should arrive within a week.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »
Mail to and from Vandalia is always very quick to be delivered and sent out. They have good workers in the mail room there.

Offline rlk1975

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
I wonder if Taylorville is slow with letter than Vienna.but it seems impossible because he did got my letter when he arrived at Taylorville from Vienna. I send him a letter the address was according to Vienna. Vienna forward my letter to Taylorville. I got his two letters when he arrived there.  Then I don't got any letters for 3 weeks now. He usally send letters to me weekly. Now I am dread worry about him.

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Danville is about 2-3 weeks behind right now for my LOVE receiving mail. I got my LO mail within a week.

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:58 AM »
Yes, our LO called from Danville on Friday and said incoming mail to inmates is about 3 weeks behind.

Offline willied

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
When I send mail to my L/O, I mark on the outside of the envelope, the exact date and time that I drop it in my local mailbox.  I also enclose, a separate sheet of paper listing all of the contents.  Jokes, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, etc.
This at least reassures him that WE are trying to communicate in a timely manner, and any hold ups are with the USPS or IDOC.  Try sending a slightly larger packet, which becomes a parcel according the USPS, and gets a tracking number.  Track it on line, and then print it off and include it in the next letter to your L/O and see if it jives with what really happened.

Good Luck wit this.

willied

Offline Tex999

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
The mail is usually delivered on time by USPS. Each CC has it's own timeframe for delivery. Vandalia was always very good. He would get it the day or day after it was picked up at post office. If there is someone new in mailroom it can be slowed down, all depends on how much mail is delivered. Waiting 3 weeks to get mail is horrible.

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
Is anyone else having really slow delivery times on mail sent to loved ones? I sent several cards over the last few weeks and none have been delivered... us there some kind of slow down on work because they are talking strike... especially at southwestern

Offline nhealey

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Is anyone else having really slow delivery times on mail sent to loved ones? I sent several cards over the last few weeks and none have been delivered... us there some kind of slow down on work because they are talking strike... especially at southwestern

My LO is in Stateville. It seems to come and go in waves. In the past it's taken almost 5 weeks. When that happened I called and asked what was the problem? They said someone was on vacation and after they got back someone else went on vacation which drastically slowed things down. Then, after things picked back up again it was averaging around 2 weeks. Now, with the influx of mail that people get because of the holidays it seems it's slowing down yet again. In the last month it's taking around 3 weeks or so. Hopefully after the holidays things will pick back up again. It's frustrating, I know.   :wc61:

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
 :wc38: :cc:

Offline OnlyLeftie3

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
My boyfriend has been in reception at Stateville for 3 weeks now. I started sending mail to him immediately. I have no idea if he has gotten any of my letters yet or not. Is that something I could call and ask about or would they not know if he's gotten my letters?

Offline BossPink

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
I'm new here, but I'll try to help whoever while helping myself lol. My boyfriend is in Pinckneyville and I actually called there this morning. We both kept asking each other if either of us got the 3 things I sent to him the week before Christmas. He was stressing bc he hadn't got it, I was stressing bc nothing ever got sent back (before that it honestly only took days for either of us to receive each others mail for the couple of weeks he had been there) .. so after asking her a few questions about some inquiries I had, I mentioned the Christmas card, letters, pictures, magazine, etc .. she said "It has got to be in here. We unfortunately are backed up right now .. we are about 3wks behind on mail at the moment and he should get it soon." Well, his birthday is a little over 2wks away and I'm sending his birthday card out tomorrow LOL. But I will say, he sent me a card (that I wasn't expecting) and he started asking me about it since I wasn't surprised and saying anything to him haha .. it ended up taking about a week for his mail to get to me .. hopefully the mail room will pick up and start rotating a lot quicker sometime soon!
It hurts not having u close, but it would hurt even more not having u at all!

Offline cem31

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Mail is apparently backed up at Lincoln too, I sent 4 letters 4 days in a row and My Love has yet to get them. He said guys are still getting Dec mail. I even mailed one from Lincoln on Wed, which in the past he has gotten the very next day, still waiting to see when he will get any of it. Understandably they always get backed up around the holidays but this is a bit much!

Offline OnlyLeftie3

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Does anyone happen to know how long mail at Hill is taking? My boyfriend was transferred two days ago. I hope it will be faster than it was at NRC.

Offline BossPink

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
My bf FINALLY received his Christmas card last week (Pinckneyville) .. he is still yet to get his birthday card (his birthday is next week - both of ours lol his the day before mine) .. and he said he sent me a birthday card as well and I haven't received it either. Glad I decided to send it out early just hoping he will get the bday card soon!! Probably gonna send his Valentine's card out tomorrow!! :wc46:

Offline Donandkat

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
Big muddy is very slow. Post office shows it gets there in 3 days. But takes weeks to get to my loved one.

Offline BossPink

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Mail at Pinckneyville is STILL about 3 weeks out .. my bf received his birthday card yesterday (2/2) and his birthday was Monday (1/31) and was sent out on Jan. 12th.