• April 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Felons visiting inmate  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Permc

Felons visiting inmate
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
We plan on visiting my husband in Pinckneyville soon, however my mom was convicted of a felony in 2007 but has recently finished her probation. I'm aware she has to write a letter requesting visitation approval. But who in the world do we address the envelope to? Lol. I've tried looking it up on IDOC but found no information.

Offline Gizgirl2

Re: Felons visiting inmate
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:42:30 PM »
The letter has to be sent to the Warden. Looks like Jacqueline Lashbrook is the Acting Warden at Pinckneyville.

Offline Curlychris

• ticker factory
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:45:18 AM »
If you call Pinckneyville they can give you the name of the person that it needs to be addressed to. Good luck!! As of recently all prisons seem to have really come down on anyone who has any record and are pretty much not letting anyone with a record or on probation to visit even if they have been visiting in the past with no prior issues! It really stinks! I personally thinks it's their way to not have to deal with as many visitors. Word is that once they get that video chat going they plan to do away with visits altogether!!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
If you call Pinckneyville they can give you the name of the person that it needs to be addressed to. Good luck!! As of recently all prisons seem to have really come down on anyone who has any record and are pretty much not letting anyone with a record or on probation to visit even if they have been visiting in the past with no prior issues! It really stinks! I personally thinks it's their way to not have to deal with as many visitors. Word is that once they get that video chat going they plan to do away with visits altogether!!

That is not true, and that is only a rumor about video chat, you have no solid proof of that.  IPT is about facts not about rumors.

They have always been problems with some prisons and people visiting with records, this hasn't just started, I have been doing this for a long time and it's been that way since.  IDOC is not consistent on many other things too.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Curlychris

• ticker factory
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »
According to my probation officer she has NEVER had so many wardens' denying visits. She has been a probation officer for more than 10 years and when I spoke to her about my visits getting denied she said that until recently the wardens rarely refused immediate family to visit and she said in speaking with other officers they are having the same thing happen. Those are not rumors but what was told to me by someone who works in the system. Perhaps those with past felonies who are not on either probation or parole can get a warden to sign off on visits but according to what I was told by my probation officer there has been an increase in denials for visits as of recently.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
According to my probation officer she has NEVER had so many wardens' denying visits. She has been a probation officer for more than 10 years and when I spoke to her about my visits getting denied she said that until recently the wardens rarely refused immediate family to visit and she said in speaking with other officers they are having the same thing happen. Those are not rumors but what was told to me by someone who works in the system. Perhaps those with past felonies who are not on either probation or parole can get a warden to sign off on visits but according to what I was told by my probation officer there has been an increase in denials for visits as of recently.

I am talking about the rumor of only having video visits and then taking away visits altogether, reread my post.  Someone new coming here, not knowing how the rumor mill in IDOC is, reads this stuff and gets nervous that they'll never be able to visit their LO, isn't right, so that is why for as long as IPT as been around, we try to squash the rumors as soon as they start and we only try to post the FACTS.

The fact that wardens are denying *more* visits, which they have been doing for a very long time for people who have/had records, maybe there is an increase because more people are getting into trouble, on probation, people with previous records wanting to visit, or they are just plain cracking down more on it all, but people have been denied visits for a very long time, nothing new there.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Permc

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
We went ahead and sent in a letter to the assistant warden. We did call Pinckneyville and that's what we were told to do. She wasn't convicted or anything back when it happened, she was just given probation until she paid the restitution and she is now off probation. So hopefully maybe, they will have some sort of leniency. We're waiting to hear back but were told it could take 2-4 weeks for approval or denial. We'll just keep praying.
I really hope they don't do away with visits. I plan on taking our newborn in April and it will be the first time she meets her Daddy. But hey, video visits sound cool too. Does anybody know when they are supposed to start those?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
We went ahead and sent in a letter to the assistant warden. We did call Pinckneyville and that's what we were told to do.
I really hope they don't do away with visits. I plan on taking our newborn in April and it will be the first time she meets her Daddy. But hey, video visits sound cool too. Does anybody know when they are supposed to start those?

They aren't going to do away with visits and hoping you have a goodtime when you take your little one to meet her father, enjoy your visit!!

Offline blickly

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Is there any specific information that should be included in the letter to the warden to get permission for a Felon to visit a inmate in Vandalia?