• April 22, 2018, 05:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: MP3 Players Coming?  (Read 11749 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
MP3 Players Coming?
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
There is some information coming out that IDOC is going to be starting a pilot program in June at certain prisons, selling MP3 players. 

When we get more information on this or anyone has anything to add, please post. 

We all know this change was coming, with the switch over from the tapes to mp3's, but also IDOC takes their time as with everything else. We had information on this posted  back in 2011. 

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline StayinTrue2Him

Re: MP3 Players Coming?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
 :wc6: I hope so! They stopped selling the Walk-mans and cassette tapes almost a year ago at Stateville...My man has been hearing for a long time that the MP3 players were coming soon so I hope that it is true! I'll post anything that I find out from him about it...
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline webmari

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
That would be a good thing for a change :-)

Offline Bulles78

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Hi Everybody,

My L/o is in Stateville too... His walkman is dead... Is there something we, from the outside, can do ? Just asking because he can't buy one anymore...
Any news about the Mp3 ?
Thanks a lot for this forum, it's very hepfull...  :wc38:

Offline Gwheft

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:10 AM »
My LO has a buddy who's husband is also incarcerated and said his facility just got mp3 players and are getting email soon. She wasn't sure of his facility but is supposed to let me know.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »
They have started receiving the MP3 player.s at Big Muddy, as of this past week. The inmates are thrilled with them.....however, my son's would not work! He has to go thru the right channels to return it, reorder, etc. Now he enjoys all others walking around with their players, like people do out here with their cell phones! :) He was so disappointed......
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline Nikij

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
Has anyone heard when they will be allowing the MP3 players at the other prisons in Illinois after the original test sites get them? Also, my husband heard that with those we will be able to email and have video chat. Any idea if that has been offered to the prisons that have gotten the new players? Thanks!

Offline Jodiewodie32

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
I emailed jpay about this a few days ago and recieved a very generic "not yet and we will let you know when" reply back! He said they were waiting on prison administration to authorise them. This was for pinckneyville so not sure about other places 😕
💋

Offline Sizz

• Though we can't be together, we'll never be apart
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

Hi Humbird,
                       I hope your son gets his MP3 fixed quickly. Can I ask what was the cost of one and how much to load songs? Or is there a charge per song?

I appreciate any information you can give me!

:wc71-1:
" You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care."

Offline humbird37

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »
Hi Sizz....it has been sent to be exchanged or repaired. I believe there is a charge per song, and I think he said 1.82 cents each....I can't for the life of me remember how much the players were. He will probably call tonight, and I will ask him. They were not really expensive.....if he doesn't call tonight, when he does, I will let you know.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »
Hi Sizz...My son just called and told me the MP3 players are 75.00.

Offline Sizz

• Though we can't be together, we'll never be apart
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
 :wc38:

Thank you so much, Humbird!

:wc69: :wc71-1: :wc69:
" You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care."

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
My l/o is in Menard and he said that kiosks are finally being installed. It will still be a while before everything is up and running, but he was curious about what version the mp3 player is. In looking on JPay's website, they now offer a jp5 player/tablet, stating the jp4 is being discontinued. I figured IDOC is not going to allow the large tablet, so they have a mini version available. It has a 4.3" touch screen. Is the jp5 mini the player available at Big Muddy?
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Not sure what kind he has , but my LO has his already at Vandalia

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
I sure hope they are available at Stateville soon because Orange Crush just spent the last two weeks there and broke his Walkman cassette player,which is no longer available on commissary,in half...They destroyed the place and the inmates' belongings, not to mention their well being, as they always do! :wc4:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline patriot

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »
Thanks for the info about MPS players. L/O is at Lincoln and told us this week they could be on lock down for a couple of days next week so they could install the kiosk there. Hope it's true. That will be nice to be able to email him, said they get 20 emails for free or something like that. That would be awesome if they can get some college credits too.

Offline sdlyons91

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:25:58 PM »
Has anyone heard anymore updates on this?  My L/O is being moved from Cook County tomorrow, but will be in Classification for a while.  I see from this thread there are people in IDOC that have them, but JPay doesn't have availability listed on their site for any IL facilities.  Have they been rolled out everywhere yet?  Thanks!

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
My husband has one and he is located in Shawnee. We communicate via a message system, you must set up an account with Connect Network. The only other thing to my knowledge that he is able to do with the MP3 is download/purchase music.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
Can the inmates reply via email too? I read on GTL's website that it's only one way, meaning we would be able to email, the prison would print it out and give the print outs to the inmate and they would have to reply to us by snail mail. Is that true? And can anyone confirm that the MP3 players go through GTL Global Tel Link?
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »
My husband's MP3 player is associated with Connect Network and he is able to send me messages back. When I send him messages he has to sync the player to the kiosk and he is able to read them on his player. It truly has been a great source of communication when money gets low on the phone. I would definitely recommend anybody who can to utilize the device/service.

Offline nhealey

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Hi Sizz...My son just called and told me the MP3 players are 75.00.

$75 for an MP3 player is ridiculous. I can go get a brand new 16Gb one for $30.00

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »
My husband's MP3 player is associated with Connect Network and he is able to send me messages back. When I send him messages he has to sync the player to the kiosk and he is able to read them on his player. It truly has been a great source of communication when money gets low on the phone. I would definitely recommend anybody who can to utilize the device/service.

What kind of charges do you have through Connect Network for the messaging?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline pt1318

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »

Thanks for the info, that does sound great! :wc7: I wonder if they offer the 2-way messaging only at the test sites for now because on both the IDOC website and connect network's it says that it's one way only. But I hope they'll get the MP3 players real soon (finally!) and fingers crossed it'll work both ways for all of us.
Merry Christmas to everyone! sillydeer
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline sarashane

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
I thought the mp3s were through Jpay. What is this Connect Network? In LA we  emailed each other on Jpay. Im confused.
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline AandMR

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

Can you tell me what the prices look like on these messages?
Loverlover

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »

Good Morning Forevermah!

The charges are 5 messages for $1.50
                          10 messages for $3.00
                          20 messages for $4.00

The letters are 2000 characters and I usually send him $20 worth and buy $20 worth for myself which last for quite awhile.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »

Good Morning Forevermah!

10 messages for $3.00
                          20 messages for $4.00

The letters are 2000 characters and I usually send him $20 worth and buy $20 worth for myself which last for quite awhile.

Thank you !!

Offline babybabybaby

• Charity for all, malice towards none.
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »

OK I am going to try this. Where do I send the money? I am going g to go to the web site and see if I can figure this out.
Good Morning Forevermah!

10 messages for $3.00
                          20 messages for $4.00

Thank you !!
The love in your heart wasn't put there to stay.
Love isn't love until you give it away.

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline geminancer35

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:46 AM »
Is Connect Network through Securus or JPay?

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »
It is not through either company. It is under a company called GTL I believe. Go to connectnetwork.com for more information and I think it will tell you if your facility is supported.

Offline cem31

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
With sync time included, how long does it take for you to receive your texts and also for your LO to receive theirs?

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
It really depends on the staff and facility I believe. Sometimes I will send my husband a message in the morning and it is approved within the hour or sooner. They will email you and say your message has been approved. Once I get the approval email I know that my husband can go to the kiosk and sync (download) the message to his player. Over the weekend the messages turnaround is pretty slow. For the most part we both typically receive the messages the same day, especially if we send them early. It has definitely been a great form of communication.

Offline Schmaltzy

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
My husbands facility will have these MP3/tablets by the end of march I believe. I've looked on GTL  and have set up an account for messaging. I didn't see anything at all regarding the MP3 player and how your loved one can purchase songs or even how to fund his acct to do so. Any info?
I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine........

Offline keyvee78

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
To purchase music they must use money from their commissary. My husband goes to the kiosk and selects the songs he wants to purchase, and then the day he goes to the store he purchases the songs.

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
Any idea when Dixon may get them mp3s?

Offline Schmaltzy

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
Thanks for answering kayvee
I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine........

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
Any idea when Dixon may get them mp3s?

Apparently Dixon will have the MP3 players and email facilities by June/July time.  That's what they've been told anyway. Believe it when I see it!

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
My LO is at Hill and they are getting them soon.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 12:28:47 AM »
Big muddy has had them for awhile in fact they were just able to order upgraded ones. My husband and I use ours everyday. If he messages me of morning I usually get it in time to message him back and him still get it that day. They rely are worth the money they are life savers.right before my mom died she was having all kinds of surgeries and slipped into a coma for a week and the messages gave us a way of me keeping him updated and him being able to be there more for me than just phone calls.
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline Skittles58

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »
I am really confused as to why this is a different company. So will we now have connection, jpay and securus? What about the video kiosks who will that be through? I hope all of the prisons get this I especially right now can't travel and would love the video option. If anyone hears Pontiac is getting anything please post. Thanks 💐

Offline pt1318

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
I am really confused as to why this is a different company. So will we now have connection, jpay and securus? What about the video kiosks who will that be through? I hope all of the prisons get this I especially right now can't travel and would love the video option. If anyone hears Pontiac is getting anything please post. Thanks 💐

From what I understand we can now send money through Jpay or GTL, phone goes through Securus as usual and emails and video visits go or will go through GTL. Not sure if commissary money for music has to go through GTL or not... Guess they just like to keep things complicated for us but I really don't mind as long as they FINALLY all get it and as long as it works. The Lawrence warden personally told us on a visit last September that they were going to get the mp3 players and messaging service within the next couple of months. So it's almost June and they still don't have anything ... go figure. My LO and I won't believe anything until we see it.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
Phone is still through securus you can still send money thru pay but you can also send thru gtl gtl is connect network connect network is the messaging app. It doesn't matter where the money on their commissary comes from they can buy the songs $1.88 a piece or 20 for $30 If they get the 20 for 30 they do not have to buy the songs all at one time if they are waiting on one to show up in the list. They purchase the credits when they go to the store them in a couple days it appears on their account. The kiosks are also ran by gtl for video visits as well as the kiosks inside the prisons where you can use credit card or cash to add money to their books. I hope I explained everything y'all were wondering about if not just ask. I had a 8.5 hour visit today so I am exhausted. Lol...no complaints though
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋