• April 22, 2018, 12:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: How will the person be sentenced?  (Read 7023 times)

Offline Jleigh123

How will the person be sentenced?
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
My fiancé has two felony theft charges for stolen credit cards, and is currently in county until his court date because no one has the money to bail him out. He also has a pending DUI case(his 3rd one) and previous drug charges where the cases have been closed and he has not yet been convicted of any felonies. What are the chances of him getting jail time and how much time will he get? Will it be time served? Or will the judge let him go after his first court date until sentencing. Also, he won't be able to be on electronic monitoring because he doesn't have a place to live right now where he can do that. I'm just wondering what is gonna happen to him. Anyone have any ideas???? :wc38:

Offline tkesde1

Re: How will the person be sentenced?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »
This is the hard part, waiting. Nobody here or on the outside can answer your question. It all depends on the judge and the prosecutor. There is a great disparity in how sentences are handed out within each county - let alone within the state. The charge my husband is in for, is usually given probation. There is literally nobody he has met serving time on the inside for the charge he is in for and most are shocked that he received prison time.  I see people with far worse charges getting probation. We actually thought he would too since that's what all the pre-sentencing investigation and reports recommended for him. The prosecutor wanted prison time and the judge gave it. He had no record at all other than a couple of speeding tickets over 10 years ago. You may get lucky and they will agree on a sentence and you'll know what that is before sentencing, but even then the judge can do whatever they want.

He's home!