• April 24, 2018, 07:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Clarification on sentence credits  (Read 3917 times)

Offline OnOurOwn16

Clarification on sentence credits
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
I realize that my question may appear redundant; especially since I know I've read similar questions in the past but I am struggling with searching the correct words to find the most relevant topic. Nevertheless, here goes ...

At what point in an inmate's sentence will the facility/IDOC review any supplementary credits toward the individual's sentence? And does my l/o need to take the initiative to submit a request for supplementary credit review?

My l/o received a 6yr sentence @ 50%. With that information, his initial release would be in 3 years. My l/o also received time served from county which equated to roughly ~6months. We're now down to less than 2 years on the sentence and I am curious as to the process. Also, what are some of the factors beyond the type of charge does IDOC examine? Do they look at inmate's criminal record (prior convictions, class type, etc.) and what programs they are currently participating? I wonder to what extend they'll honor my l/o's request because he has a prior class X felony, so I was unsure if that would automatically make him ineligible for consideration? Does anyone have experience with their l/o receiving or not receiving credit based on priors?
Thanks for any help :)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Clarification on sentence credits
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »

Here is our board on Early Release Sentence Credits which contains all the answers you are looking for.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=190.0

He will be notified if he is eligible for SSC, once they go over his whole record, current and prior and much more:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29581.0

The fact that he had a Class X in his history may or may not determine if he will receive 1-6 months of SSC now.

If he has been in prison before other than the Class X and earned credit for classes/programs he would not be eligible to receive any further credit, but he still could take whatever classes/programs he could get into.

If you go to the Early Release list on the IDOC website, you may see that those that have been granted SSC, may have had priors, but to date, it is only very low level convictions that are being awarded any SSC.

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”