• April 22, 2018, 01:00:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Transfer Coordinator Questions  (Read 28617 times)

Offline KC

Transfer Coordinator Questions
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi my name is kayla do you have time to talk? About a few question i have. I also sent you a e-mail was just wondering if you answere back to them?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Transfer Coordinator
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
kayla, what is it you want to know?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
I wanted to see how long it takes before you can put in for work release ? My baby been in since August for drug charges and he's never been in trouble before.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
He has to do this with his counselor and he has to be 24 months short in order to do it. He needs to go to his counselor, you cannot do anything for him on the outside.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
I do know that he's at his 24 weeks now ! He put a slip in but she's never there but does he have a good chance??

Offline WAID

• What Am I Doing?
  • That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »
He can actually begin the the transfer request with his counselor at 26 months, but won't take effect til after 24 months. Unclear if they will take into consideration that last good time credit not given yet. This rule applies for Sheridan drug program, work release or ATC. The counselor will process the application depending on his security level, he can't guarantee you'll be accepted in any of those programs though.
Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.

Offline KC

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
He is already in work camp has been in work camp since the 2 months he's been there he's also got everything to clear him to go he works in the barber shop and he hasnt been in no trouble

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »
If his paperwork is in, it's probably a matter of time, they sometimes move them to the work camps before sending the the ATC centers..

Offline sept2681

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
Dealing with Government employees is driving me crazy.  I have sent letters to the Dep Director of Women & Child Services, the Warden and the transfer coordinator.  My letters contained copies of letters from my LO's most recent employer, the employer that will give her a job if she gets work release and a letter from a third employer who will give her a job when she is paroled.  I received acknowledgements from the Dep Dir and the Transfer Coord.  The rub is my LO has not applied yet.  That is next week.  So, I call down there to ask a question that I think I know the answer to.  I ask whether the letters they received will be retained in her file when the application comes in.  I am told that "We are really behind in our filing and there is a chance that the letters might not sync up with her applicaltion.  I suggest you have her counselor include them in the transfer application." 
I am stunned.  But wait, I called the counselor.  I had copied her on all of these letters.  She is supportive of the transfer.  When I told her about my call to S-field and what they recommended, she said she wasn't sure she was allowed to include the employer letter in the transfer packet.  Sheesh.  I just want someone who has decision making power to see the women behind the offense.

My plan is to send a whole new packet of the letters to coincide with the arrival of the transfer paperwork.

Thanks for being here to let me vent.
Adversity arrives on its own schedule in a vehicle of its own design.

Offline KC

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
Morning ! We have put in for work release on Jan 24th !!!!! How long do you think it will take him to get in? He put in for Crossroads is there any beds open there? Or should i call springfield?

Offline PsFriend

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
Can someone actually get a transfer from a level 2 to a level 6? Or does it have to be to a level 3? He was originally approved for a "medium".
What can I do when he reaches his year to help him get out of there FAST? If I contact people will it speed up the process? Who should I contact? What should I say? I'm new to this so sorry about all the questions.
I was told before they don't do hardship transfers anymore when I called someone in IDOC in Springfield like 8 months ago. So does reasons why you want to be transfered not help. Do they give priority for people who are requesting the transfer for better school options? For "treatment" reasons? To be closer to family, etc?

thanks

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
My son was transferred from a level 2 to a level 4 facility, but it was only after he had done a minimum of time (I believe it was one year).  He had never received a ticket and his court papers indicated he needed to be in a facility where they had drug treatment....I am sure that all the above variables were considered in being transferred to a level 4.  Some facilities (Sheridan) do not take a person unless they have less than 2 years to go.

He should speak to a counselor about where he wants to be transferred, but it is highly doubtful that he will go from a level 2 to a level 6.   You mentioned that he was originally approved for a medium level, did he get into trouble that landed him up in level 2?  All these factors are taken into consideration when getting approved to a lower level facility.

As relates to being closer to family, I really don't know.  Sometimes it feels as if they purposely place them FAR from family.  As for better school opportunities, my son did take some college courses at a level 2, so that factor may not be a very good one to base his request.

Good luck

mamacita

Offline RT

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »
When I was at East Moline, we were getting guys from Mt. Sterling. I know that EMCC is a Level 6 and I am sure that Mt. Sterling is not a Level 5.
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline Delvallle

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
Hi Mamacita1,
I'm confused. My son was sent to Sheridan and his sentence was 6 years. Did they expect him to serve only 2 years or less?
Delvallle
Delvallle
I still love my son.

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:41:16 AM »
RT:  You are right.  As a matter of fact, my son's counselor told my son that he might want to consider being transferred to East Moline, and he's at a level 4 right now.  I think it has lots to do with behavior and time left.  But I highly doubt that a transfer from a level 2 to 6 would be seriously considered.

Delvalle:  You have me stumped!  I am wondering: did your son get sent there right away?  As far as I know, only those who have less than 2 years in their time are allowed to transfer to Sheridan.

mamacita

Offline RT

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »
A 6 year sentence is only 2 1/2 years. If it is his first or second time and non-class x, he is eligible for EGCC good time.

As far as Level 2 to 6, there are inmates classified 3-A-L which is 3=lowest security class, A= A grade and L=low escape risk. The only other thing that will disqualify for EMCC is being a sex offender. But there are 3AL inmates in Level 1 and 2 facilities because of bedspace. So it is not entirely impossible to go from Centrailia to EMCC.

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »
Rick,

How is one classified? 

mamacita

Offline PsFriend

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
No, he didn't get in trouble but they considered him an escape risk (he had an escape charged that was dropped in the plea agreement but it didn't actually get out of the court or whatever until after he got out of R and C so they gave him a weird ID and sent him to a level 2) and level 2 is still a medium. He has less than 2 1/2 left, hes done 1 year plus he'll get 3 months good time. And he has a normal ID card now, no escape risk. His original sentence was 7 years so based on IDOC website he's eligible for a minimum security prison and he's only doing 50% of his time, he gets the day for day credit.

Offline mamacita1

• Support Staff
  • Hope Springs Eternal
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
No matter which facility he will be transferred to, he will land up liking it a whole lot better than where he's at now.   Have you both considered other facilities that are closer to home that may not be a level 6....say, more like a level 4, which is still medium but much nicer?  Because of my experience, I know this is definately more likely....but who knows, there might be someone out here who has jumped from a level 2 to a level 6.

mamacita

Offline PsFriend

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
well, we were told he had to choose 3 places. choice 1 is big muddy a level 3  choice 2 is vienna a level 6 choice 3 is shawnee i think it is also a level 3 (in the town of vienna) and I hear after 3 months at shawnee he could get to vienna... read it in another post
Is it true that they could pick a different choice not in his list IF he requests a transfer?