• April 22, 2018, 01:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account  (Read 82926 times)

Offline outtastate

Re: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »
Thanks for any answers that can be provided. I read here on this forum that they can't use commissary but also they have to buy pencil/pen through commissary, so I don't understand

1.how can they buy a writing implement if there is no commissary?

2. What is the average time spent at stateville before moving on to their parent prison?

3. Are inmates allowed to call their lawyer while in stateville?

Thanks

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:36 AM »
Thanks for any answers that can be provided. I read here on this forum that they can't use commissary but also they have to buy pencil/pen through commissary, so I don't understand

1.how can they buy a writing implement if there is no commissary?

2. What is the average time spent at stateville before moving on to their parent prison?

3. Are inmates allowed to call their lawyer while in stateville?

Thanks

They cannot have commissary at R&C in Stateville unless they are there for more than 60 days.  They maybe given or pencil or borrow one to write if they can get a hold of any paper but don't count on that either, not all inmates get a note/letter out.  They normally are in R&C 30 days but because of the overcrowding, sometimes that # does go up and if they are waiting for a bed at a certain prison it could take longer.  If you want to put money on their books in R&C, you can, but know that it will only take time to get to their parent prison once they are moved and may not be there when they are first allowed commissary, so don't put too much on, chances our they won't get a chance to use it anyway in R&C.

Inmates may be allowed to call a lawyer but usually while in R&C they aren't allowed phone calls, that too will come when they are moved to their parent prison.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline sdm

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »
 :wc72: Say I was wondering if I mail educational books is there any reason he could have them?  

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
:wc72: Say I was wondering if I mail educational books is there any reason he could have them? 

Yes, those should be OK,  but just in case, call the mail room and tell them what it is you want to send in and see what they tell you.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline sdm

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »
 :wc69: Ok thanks mah!

Offline outtastate

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
2 questions

1. I read that books have to be sent in an envelope to stateville--- does that mean you can't send a paperback straight from amazon? (amazon tends to use boxes)
2. On one of the FAQ's I read that one should register with VINE to be notified immediately--- I did--- and I know the person left the county jail to go to stateville but I never got vine notice so I guess it isn't as fast as it proclaims to be on their website. How long does it take for the inmates name to show up on the idoc site?
Thanks

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
That shocks me a bit that you haven't been notified by Vine of your inmates move, if your sure he's already there. My own experience was that an email was waiting for me early in the am. They sent it right after my inmate arrived at R&C.   IDOC usually updates late in the evening.

Offline stressedmom

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »
You can send books from Amazon to Statesville.  I do it all the time and have never had a problem.

Offline outtastate

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses. You say I can send from amazon even though amazon uses a box but someone also said Receiving will not accept a box?  Is this because they accept a box from a company but not a non-business?

I received the VINE email but I still can't find inmate number on the IDOC site and it is 11:20 pm (about). Someone said they update late at night. How long do you think it will take to get an inmate number so I can begin sending mail? The vine notice said they are already in the custody of IDOC but an inmate number wasn't given in the message. Thanks

Offline outtastate

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:02 AM »
As an update they are now listed on the IDOC site. Question, if they don't get commissary that means they can't write letters? Should I be putting a small amount of money in their account to get stamps/envelope/paper? Thanks

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
You can put a small amount of money on his account, but that doesn't guarantee he will be able to go to commissary. What you do put on his books will follow him, but it will take several weeks to reach him at his parent prison once he's moved. When you write him, leave a page with little writing on it, that way he can tear off the rest of it, and use that to write you back. There are some prisons that will give the inmate one write out (Stamped Envelope) when they arrive, or so I've been told. Start writing him often! He will need that support. Hang in there...

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
As an update they are now listed on the IDOC site. Question, if they don't get commissary that means they can't write letters? Should I be putting a small amount of money in their account to get stamps/envelope/paper? Thanks

He will not be able to go to commissary unless he has been in Statevillle for 60+ days, so if you put on his books now, it will only have to catch up to him once he is moved to his parent prison.  They cannot buy writeouts or anything in R&C at Stateville through commissary, they are not allowed.  Once he is moved to his parent prisons 30+ days he will be allowed to go to commissary to buy what he wants/needs, providing the money is on his books.

You can send him magazines books in manilla envelopes now or order from Amazon/Barnes Noble he will get it (hopefully while in R&C), they will remove the shipping box. 

Just remember whatever you send, he only has so much room in his property box to store things and at some point may have to get rid of things because of space.

Offline outtastate

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Western Union Question here--- I know I cant send money to Stateville NRC however soon they are to be transferred to parent facility and I was asked to send X amount of money immediately so they could get tv etc--- problem is that the western union website says there is a limit of sending $300 to an inmate. Here are my questions

1. is that limit per day, per hour, per what? there is no answer on their website and used both online chat AND spoke to cust service by phone and got nowhere, each person has conflicting answers, sadly one didnt even know there was a $300 inmate limit.

2. even if i used jpay and they have a limit i still need to send the requested amount the first day they are transferred.  it will take more  than 1 transaction for EACH of these venues to be able to send what I need to.

3. How do inmates buy the tv or whatever else they can buy if I can't send the $ in one shot?

4. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of how much the tv is, hot plate, radio etc? or some kind of commissary list if they need to buy underwear or shoes?

5. When you go through the western union menu to send money to an inmate I see if asks for prison system (IDOC) but does it ask the actual city/facility because I couldn't see that far. Thanks again

Thank you in advance from anyone who has actual knowledge and experience. I am trying to avoid guesswork so that I can be prepared to send the needed funds asap.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »
I always used Jpay, so won't even attempt to answer your question about Western Union, although I've heard they're just as good as Jpay, and about the same price. I set up an account with them, plugged in  his name and IDOC # and they found him. The $ reached him within 24 hrs. He got a receipt letting him know how much had been sent, and who sent it. I split mine in half, sending it in 2 day's. Once he's placed in his parent prison, call that prison and ask them if there's a limit on how much can be sent each day. He won't be able to go to commissary right away, it will most likely be a few day's before that happens.
     Each prison also varies on the price of things, and what they can get in commissary. Tv was about $250.00 and the hot pot was $20.00 I think, fan was about the same if memory serves me correctly.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
Western Union Question here--- I know I cant send money to Stateville NRC however soon they are to be transferred to parent facility and I was asked to send X amount of money immediately so they could get tv etc--- problem is that the western union website says there is a limit of sending $300 to an inmate. Here are my questions

1. is that limit per day, per hour, per what? there is no answer on their website and used both online chat AND spoke to cust service by phone and got nowhere, each person has conflicting answers, sadly one didnt even know there was a $300 inmate limit.

The Western Union limit is a per pay limit.

2. even if i used jpay and they have a limit i still need to send the requested amount the first day they are transferred.  it will take more  than 1 transaction for EACH of these venues to be able to send what I need to.

I believe jpay also has a limit, somewhere around $300, per day.

3. How do inmates buy the tv or whatever else they can buy if I can't send the $ in one shot?

You don't have to send the entire amount as soon as they arrive. There are specific days inmates are allowed to shop (the schedule is determined by the facility), so he'll have to wait until his commissary day comes around before he can purchase anything. That gives you plenty of time.

4. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of how much the tv is, hot plate, radio etc? or some kind of commissary list if they need to buy underwear or shoes?

A rough estimate for a tv is $250, plus headphones. Each prison has it's own commissary list, which is made available to the inmate upon their arrival. It will show what he can get and the costs. When y is moved to his parent prison, you can look at this board and see if we have a copy of that facility's list
http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=135.0

5. When you go through the western union menu to send money to an inmate I see if asks for prison system (IDOC) but does it ask the actual city/facility because I couldn't see that far. Thanks again

No, Western Union does not ask for the specific facility, nor does jpay. All money, technically, is sent to Springfield, and digitally added to the inmate's "account."

Thank you in advance from anyone who has actual knowledge and experience. I am trying to avoid guesswork so that I can be prepared to send the needed funds asap.

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »
Jpay will not allow you to send more than $300 every 10 days.

Offline Stanleyslove0821

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Hi I have a question. I received a letter from my loved one from stateville NRC & I was wondering if I could write him back # 1...will he get it #2....& #3 how long will it take.?

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
Hi I have a question. I received a letter from my loved one from stateville NRC & I was wondering if I could write him back # 1...will he get it #2....& #3 how long will it take.?

Yes you can write him back, yes he will receive it, but not sure how long it will take.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »

Make sure when you write you put his full name and ID# and your full return address or it won't get to him.  He may get it while in R&C, but may not until he gets to his parent prison, all depends.  If you send him books/magazines, nothing with contraband in them, guns/knives etc and only 5 at a time can be sent in.. Once he gets to his parent prison, you can take 5 in when you visit and once they go through property he will get them.

Offline Sasha222

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
My l/o was just in NRC and they can get letters, but it takes a bit.  I think it took about a week and half for him to get my letters.  Theirs mail out fast though.  I get mine within two days when he writes.  Don't forget to include the R# and your full return address, and no stickers.