• April 22, 2018, 01:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account  (Read 82925 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
The only way you can send them to Stateville is in manila envelopes with NO bubble wrap, they will return them all with bubble wrap and the priority box is questionable too.    5 books at one time is all you can take in on a visit, but no visits in R&C or send in through the mail.  This is the same at most prisons, once he is moved.  There are restrictions as to what kind of books too and some prisons do not allow hard covered books.

I would not put any money on his books till he is moved, they cannot go to commissary at Stateville in R&C and it will only take time for the money to be transferred to his parent prison.  

Next time, come to IPT, all this information is here and much more that you are going to need through your journey with IDOC.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline leighanns520

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
:wc14:
This whole process is so convoluted.  You ask seven different officals the same question and you get seven different answers.  I called a counselor at Stateville R&C today about mailing books.  I was told to put no more than five at a time in a padded envelope (no boxes) that was lined with bubble wrap.  When I got to the post office, the postal worker said he had similar envelopes that were sent to other prisons in Illinois returned because bubble wrap was not allowed.  I give up.  I ended up putting them in a priority mail envelope that was rip proof and sent them that way.  Why bother?  My L/O will probably not get them anyway.  I tried to call the Statesville mailroom yesterday at 3 p.m. and was told they were gone for the day.  No wonder the mail is backed up, they only work five hours a day.  The counselor also told me my inmate could get commissary, but he had been told at County that he would not be able to do so.  I set up an account for him hoping it's true and asked the counselor if she could please let him know there was money.  What are the odds that she did?  I'll guess zero.
Hi
My husband was at R & C for a parole violation hold.  He has since been moved to Pontiac. While he was at Statesville R & C I did send him books, our local weekly newspaper, cards and letters.  He did receive some of what I sent and I am sure what he has not received will be showing up at Pontiac at some point.  I sent them in the yellow envelope. I called the mail room their and the co told me no bubble envelopes and no padded envelopes. He said the card board priority and the tear proof priority were fine.  I sent in the yellow envelope.  As far as the delay in getting there mail to them.  There is a delay. When I called the co said they were exactly a week behind.  I got a letter from my husband dated August 11, last Friday the 19th.  In the August 11 letter he stated he had just received the first package, letters and cards from me which were all post marked July 29. So there is a delay and appears to be more than the one week that the CO said.
If your loved one gets moved and has not got what was sent it will eventually catch up to him, but who know how long that will be!!  Money on the other hand, in my experience I would not put anything in the mail as they are behind and there is no telling when that envelope would be opened and the money order put on his books.  I have been using JPAY.  My loved one was going to be able to shop as he was on parole violation with no new DOC charges.  I was told that they are treated a little differently than the regular R & C inmates. He was going to be able to shop 1 x a month, and was moved before his shop day.  He also was allowed to make calls on Sundays, but only numbers that were previously approved from when he was in IDOC before.  No new numbers to my knowledge were approved while he was in intake. He was also going to be allowed visits after 60 days, if he was still at that location.  I don't know if any of this info helps as your loved one may be being held on something entirely different.  but hope this helps you.  My husband said "keep sending books, letters, and cards" as they don't have anything at all to do in intake and very little movement. He said he got one shower a week and 4 hours of yard a week.  Other than that very little movement. Hope some of this info helps.....keep writing and also I heard that at times they will trade books with others to obtain write outs etc.  I think that might be why my loved one is requesting more books.  He said True crime is what they all like to read.  I am wondering though if those type of books are allowed.  Take care and good luck to you!!!!!

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
best bet in mailing is to call the facility and ask to talk to someone in the mailroom.
counselors and others dont work in the mailroom so there is no guarantee they know.

good luck
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline leighanns520

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
best bet in mailing is to call the facility and ask to talk to someone in the mailroom.
counselors and others dont work in the mailroom so there is no guarantee they know.

good luck
Thanks for the info.  I am going to send the letter today and see what happens. I called and the assistant warden is the one to make the decision

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
If they can't get commissary in R&C, how is he supposed to write me a letter with no write-outs or pens?  The counselor told me that my inmate would be able to get commissary as soon as money was put in his account to purchase these items.  My inmate is a new intake and not a parole violation.  I do think they are not allowed to get commissary food, but possibly just toiletries and write-outs.  You know IDOC won't want to foot the bill for toothpaste or shampoo if they don't have to.  Another person on this site told me that she sends her son books in bubble wrap envelopes to Stateville R&C when he was there for 72 days waiting for a spot to open in boot camp.  She said she had no problem.  Adminstrator here says to listen to IPT, Stateville counselor tells me to listen to her. This is why I am totally confused.  I will send books in tyvek envelope, just to be safe, I will put money on books, just to be safe.  Thank you for all your input though, it makes me realize that I am not going crazy, this prison system is.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
If they can't get commissary in R&C, how is he supposed to write me a letter with no write-outs or pens?  The counselor told me that my inmate would be able to get commissary as soon as money was put in his account to purchase these items.  My inmate is a new intake and not a parole violation.  I do think they are not allowed to get commissary food, but possibly just toiletries and write-outs.  You know IDOC won't want to foot the bill for toothpaste or shampoo if they don't have to.  Another person on this site told me that she sends her son books in bubble wrap envelopes to Stateville R&C when he was there for 72 days waiting for a spot to open in boot camp.  She said she had no problem.  Adminstrator here says to listen to IPT, Stateville counselor tells me to listen to her. This is why I am totally confused.  I will send books in tyvek envelope, just to be safe, I will put money on books, just to be safe.  Thank you for all your input though, it makes me realize that I am not going crazy, this prison system is.

Good luck, you have to do what you want I guess and hope it all works out, that he get's the books and is able to go to commissary.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »

Good luck, you have to do what you want I guess and hope it all works out, that he get's the books and is able to go to commissary.

YES IDOC is going to be an experience to say the least.. from experience I sent $ to my loved one while in R&C and he didnt get it until 1 month AFTER HE LEFT R&C and in his parent facility. i wrote daily and he didnt get a letter until he was in R&C he wrote me becuz he was able to bring write outs from county and he knows people.  I find listening to IPT helps me more then anthing else..   There are some very caring helpful counselors and CO.  and GREAT IPT MEMBERS...
i too wish you the best and hope it works out.
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
I, too, am very grateful for this website and all the information I have received has helped us prepared for this experience.  I wish I knew he would be allowed to take writeouts with him from County, but I was under the impression that the only things he could take with him was a bible and a notepad.  I told him to ask the CO's at County what he could take, but he said they said they didn't know.  Really?  Is it that hard to provide that information to an inmate?  I think when this ordeal is over, I might become a prison reform advocate.  I am that frustrated by what I have seen and heard so far, and I am only two weeks into it.  If it wasn't for the information and postings on this site, I would be in a rubber room by now.  Thank you everyone for helping to keep me sane (for now).

Offline leighanns520

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
I, too, am very grateful for this website and all the information I have received has helped us prepared for this experience.  I wish I knew he would be allowed to take writeouts with him from County, but I was under the impression that the only things he could take with him was a bible and a notepad.  I told him to ask the CO's at County what he could take, but he said they said they didn't know.  Really?  Is it that hard to provide that information to an inmate?  I think when this ordeal is over, I might become a prison reform advocate.  I am that frustrated by what I have seen and heard so far, and I am only two weeks into it.  If it wasn't for the information and postings on this site, I would be in a rubber room by now.  Thank you everyone for helping to keep me sane (for now).
I wish you the best of luck through this ordeal.  I am an ex-offender and was at the womens prison dwight for intake.  I was in Kankakee jail and was transported to Dwight.  All I could take was my Bible and glasses.  Once at Dwight I was able to go to commissary.  The womens intake seems nothing like the mens.  Statesville is completely different with what I have learned on here, the men have it very rough.  Intake is the worst process of the entire time one is in IDOC custody.  Once moved it gets easier as you can stay busy.  I always said they would not be so many people returning to prison if they made you go through the last month in intake again as it is not good.  It is something you would not forget.  I was at Lincoln and honestly, I stayed so busy that my time flew by.  My husband was moved from R & C to Pontiac and I did get one letter from him.  He had not shopped at that time.  I had mailed the letter 7-29 and he received it on 8-11.  His money will not catch up to him for about a month from R & C. Heck, I don't know if his money has even made it from the Danville Center yet!!  They are slow.  I wired money Monday to husbands current location and called to day with some questions and spoke to super nice CO that said even money wired can take up to 1 to 10 days for the accounting department to post to his books so he can shop.  I have been sitting here for a letter thinking if he didn't shop Monday that he would one day this week as I wired the funds, waiting probably for nothing as he probably doesn't know it is there yet.  What a mess.  It would be nice if IDOC would become more efficient.  My husbands profile on IDOC stated his parent prison was Statesville, so while he was in R & C the man I had talked to in admistration said it would be fine to send money there as he would be staying there until the parole hearing.  A week later he was moved, so when they tell you something it is not 100 that things aren't going to change.  Good luck with all this and just let your loved one know you are here for him.  That is about all you can do until he gets moved. Mine is moved and he might as well still be in intake as things haven't changed on my end much as no call or mail yet.  But it will be soon, I am sure.  I was told to give it two weeks to get the phone approved and at least 10 days to start to get mail from him. I will wait, because I love him, but not too patient right now.  This has been going on for too long with only one letter.--Good luck  you will get lots of support here.  Memebers on here have been a gift from Heaven for me and it is a blessing I found this site.  You will meet some of the best people

Offline mellaout

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
I always send my items in the priority mail envelopes that the post office uses, I have not had a problem yet (crossing my fingers) I do put 5 books and at least two magazines and a letter and a newspaper if it fits, basically I stuff it. And no problem yet, My love has gotten all magazines except XXL (hip hop) I do not know why, I have sent different hip hop and they have gotten through. I went to visit with another stuffed envelope and was told by a CO that it could only contain 5 items total so I removed all except the books (to save postage). The CO said they will not take cardboard boxes at Statesville. As far as commisary goes, my guy is shopping for food in R&C now but I don't think that goes for everyone. He has been there over 60 days and maybe staying put. He gets alot of cellies who have transferred outto their parent prison about average time 1-2 weeks. Just write and send a couple of soft cover books and maybe a magazine, he will probably trade it for a transfer if he doesn't have a write out if he gets transferred it will catch up to him. Hopefully he will get it before he leaves Statesville.

Mello

Offline Sed1971

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
My BF is currently in NRC.  I have sent books and mags.  Can he transfer with them or does he have to leave them behind?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
My BF is currently in NRC.  I have sent books and mags.  Can he transfer with them or does he have to leave them behind?

He can take them with providing there isn't too much to fit in his property box.  They eventually have to get rid of something if the space in that box runs out.

Offline Sed1971

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
How big is the property box?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
How big is the property box?

Approximately 12 or 15(h) x 36(w) .. they are made to fit under the beds.  Once those boxes before full, they either have to send the stuff they don't want home, or throw it away.

Offline outtastate

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »

Can anyone help me with these questions? (re stateville) (I mistakenly posted this on the wrong topic before)
1. if there is no commissary then how do they acquire a pen and paper?
2. If there is no commissary why would anyone send money to this facility (stateville)
3. It is my understanding that no phonecalls are allowed---the inmate can not make any-- is that correct?
4. how many people per cell and are they locked in their cells 22 hours per day?
thanks for response

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

Can anyone help me with these questions? (re stateville) (I mistakenly posted this on the wrong topic before)
1. if there is no commissary then how do they acquire a pen and paper?
2. If there is no commissary why would anyone send money to this facility (stateville)
3. It is my understanding that no phonecalls are allowed---the inmate can not make any-- is that correct?
4. how many people per cell and are they locked in their cells 22 hours per day?
thanks for response

If they are lucky they can borrow a pencil and I believe they are given one postcard.  If they trade their food (which they arent' suppose to do) they sometimes can trade for a writeout, what they need to send out mail.

If they are in R&C more than 60 days, they are allowed to go to commissary, but can only buy personal items/writeouts.

You might get lucky to get ONE phone call, but don't count on it.

There could be 2-4 people in a cell in receiving and they are usually locked down 24/7, maybe given time out once per week for a shower.

Offline outtastate

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 01:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  regarding limit of 5 books or magazines per mailing,

1. does per mailing mean per day? and if so what if 2 different packages arrive the same day and they were mailed different days?

2. regarding forwarded mail to the next place they move to---the post office generally doesnt forward media mail--- so is it the actual prison that internally forwards the mail through their own courier service or trucks?

thank you

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 06:04:34 AM »
The guys will get mail if you mail it media mail.

Five books is per visit, you can mail these instructions from IDOC website:

What items can I mail to an inmate?

Inmates are provided food, clothing and healthcare. To ensure safety and security in the prison system, inmates are able to purchase approved items in the commissary.

Inmates can receive correspondence, legal mail and publications, which are reviewed to determine whether they are obscene or constitute a danger to safety and security. The institutional Publication Review Committee reviews all publications that are not on the approved list, and will disapprove materials that do not meet criteria. Inmates can receive publications, including books, periodicals, magazines, newspapers and catalogs in accordance with department regulations. Inmates can receive publications from a vendor, friend or family. There is no limit through the mail. Publications brought to the facility shall be limited to 5 per visit.

Guidelines need to be followed for envelopes and packages.

Envelopes that are padded with clear bubble wrap will be accepted.  Envelopes that have this type of padding can be easily scanned.
    Envelopes padded with gray diamond dust and corrugated cardboard boxes mailed from family and friends will not be accepted and will be returned to the sender without being opened.

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/aboutus/Pages/faq.aspx#09

Offline outtastate

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
still hoping on a response to this:

regarding forwarded mail to the next place they move to---the post office generally doesnt forward media mail--- so is it the actual prison that internally forwards the mail through their own courier service or trucks?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
If you look ^ at my post, I did reply that the guys will get the mail if you mail it media, so the prison does forward to them.  You send it to your inmates ID # and prison address and they get it.