• April 24, 2018, 07:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account  (Read 82985 times)

Offline chrismom

Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Hi..Does anyone know if paperbacks, magazines etc. can be sent to Statesville while in receiving?  And money put in account?  Thanks

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Sending Books to Stateville R&C and Money on Account
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
You can send them to Stateville, only 5 at one time. Be sure you put your full name and return address on all mail, or it will be returned.  When sending books check out our post on this board about Media Mail, it's much cheaper to send it this way.

The guys have to take books with them when they are moved, or if they don't have any room left in their property boxes, they have to get rid of them.  You should wait to put money on his books until he gets to his parent prison, as inmates in Stateville R&C cannot go to commissary.  He will be able to shop after he goes through orientation at his parent prison. this usually takes about two weeks.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline chrismom

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:31 PM »
Thanks Forevermah....Can I send books, etc. without his IDOC #?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
Yes, put his last name and ID# on anything you send him, books/magazines ...  remember to check out media mail postage, it's ALOT cheaper!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline natalieD

• *Omnia Vincit Amor*
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
chrismom,
you NEED to put his IDOC # on everything... if you don't know his number, check the IDOC website and it will tell you. i also wouldn't put money on his account until he's at his parent prison. my boyfriend's mom put $120 on his books while he was in reception and it took almost 3 months to catch up to him after he was transferred out of stateville...
...all i want now is happiness for you and me...
              <3 forever and a day <3
      omnia vincit amor -- love conquers all

Offline chrismom

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
Thanks Natalie,  Love your picture!  He just arrived at Statesville so he isn't on the website yet.  I was hoping I could send him something to read.  Guess I have to wait.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »
Check after 9PM tonight, they update the IDOC site at night. As soon as you have his # send away.

Offline IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
When your sending them mail do you have to put C/O his parent institution or Statesville R&C or do you just address it to them with their doc # and address? Thanks for in advance.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »
If they are still in receiving, just the # and address are fine.

Offline smths76

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
Does anyone know if we can send puzzle books with pens pencil crayons ect while in statesville R&C? They won't allow anything to go from county so I'm trying to find the fastest way to get him things without having it all sent back.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Puzzle books are okay but no pens, pencils, etc.  They must all be purchased through commissary....why you ask?  Because contraband can be hidden inside a pencil or pen or markers....just stop and think if there's a security issue when you wonder if something is permitted.

There's pretty much nothing allowed to be sent...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline fig01

question!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »
im sending him a puzzle book and magazine  in a manilla envelope, do i send it to stavilles buisnees mail or inmate mail?
some one mentioned being able to put letters inside of the center of the magazine,
can i also put it in the puzzle book, and (bear with me) for the letters do i put them in a seperate envelope with his info on it. sorry for the questions new to this.. ;/

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:47:28 AM »
im sending him a puzzle book and magazine  in a manilla envelope, do i send it to stavilles buisnees mail or inmate mail?
some one mentioned being able to put letters inside of the center of the magazine,
can i also put it in the puzzle book, and (bear with me) for the letters do i put them in a seperate envelope with his info on it. sorry for the questions new to this.. ;/
You can mail the book and letter in a manila envelope together, to the inmate mail address, putting his full name and ID# and also your full return address. If you are sending letters in the furture to him, you send them with all the information I mentioned also.  I thought you said he was in P'Ville in another post?

Offline paulap

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
Does anyone know the number to call for the mail room at Statesville R & C?  I have been sending my son books and magazines for over a month, and I got a letter from him today and he said he had not received anything from me.  I knew that letters took a while to get through, but I thought I had read that books and magazines were sent through quicker. :wc96: 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
Does anyone know the number to call for the mail room at Statesville R & C?  I have been sending my son books and magazines for over a month, and I got a letter from him today and he said he had not received anything from me.  I knew that letters took a while to get through, but I thought I had read that books and magazines were sent through quicker. :wc96: 
Call the main # of Stateville and ask to speak to the mailroom:

Phone: (815) 727-3607

Offline paulap

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
Thank you!  He sounded so frustrated in his letter.  He is not getting the letters, books or magazines I am sending. I know we just have to be patient during this transition, but it is so hard.  Thank you for the number.  Maybe they can give me some insight. :wc13:

Offline paulap

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
I just talked to a lady in the mailroom at Statesville and she said they are very behind on their mail.  They have hired some new people and are getting caught up on the letters coming in, but they are still working on books and magazines that were sent in May. 
Just FYI.

Offline boobah418

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
thanks for letting me know that.. my bf is at sv farm and he just got a letter last week i sent out may 17th. so hopefully they are getting caught up because its not fair they have to wait that long for mail!

Offline mellaout

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
My l/o has been in Statesville R&C for over a month now, and I have sent books (most was 5 at at time) along with the newspaper and a magazine and a letter, also a time magazine. I so far he has gotten almost everything. I think the mail is backed up though. He is still getting something from 2-3weeks ago. I feel bad but then again I don't because I do write him everyday and I send packages almost two a week. He is a fast reader and I feel so bad for him because from what he tells me this is the worst spot to be in. Nothing to do but read and write out. Complete lock down execpt for a shower once a week and he only got to shop once and not for food either! I have sent some XXL magazines (hip hop) he hasn't gotten those yet and a couple of Maxims (we will see). Time magazine he has gotten. I will send and write all the time so that he can pass his time there.

I will do anything to make his life a little more comfortable.

Mello

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
 :wc14:
This whole process is so convoluted.  You ask seven different officals the same question and you get seven different answers.  I called a counselor at Stateville R&C today about mailing books.  I was told to put no more than five at a time in a padded envelope (no boxes) that was lined with bubble wrap.  When I got to the post office, the postal worker said he had similar envelopes that were sent to other prisons in Illinois returned because bubble wrap was not allowed.  I give up.  I ended up putting them in a priority mail envelope that was rip proof and sent them that way.  Why bother?  My L/O will probably not get them anyway.  I tried to call the Statesville mailroom yesterday at 3 p.m. and was told they were gone for the day.  No wonder the mail is backed up, they only work five hours a day.  The counselor also told me my inmate could get commissary, but he had been told at County that he would not be able to do so.  I set up an account for him hoping it's true and asked the counselor if she could please let him know there was money.  What are the odds that she did?  I'll guess zero.