• April 22, 2018, 12:48:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What is MITTIMUS?  (Read 30709 times)

Offline thesweetness2003

• PREFERENCE...THE ONE AND ONLY....
  • PREFERENCE...THE ONE AND ONLY...
What is MITTIMUS?
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:29 PM »
 :wc24:
Well i dont know where to ask this question, but you guys know, and i know that you know.... :wc1: what the heck is the MITTIMUS? what is that number right next to it on my honeys' IDOC page? i know it means something...i spent 4 hours last night/this morning trying to research it, but all that Google told me is that it's got something to do with the sentiencing, or something, oh i don't know my head is hurting again even thinking about it... :wc26: so guys i know you know, well, i hope you know, please let me know....thank you.... :wc13:
:) "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN TWO HEARTS IS NOT AN OBSTACLE, RATHER A GOOD REMINDER OF JUST HOW STRONG TRUE LOVE CAN BE....":)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
What is MITTIMUS?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »
Of course we know.... :wc35:   The mittimus is the official sentencing paper the judge signs.  It includes the convictions, length of the sentence, type of good time awarded, number of days credit for county time, etc.  This travels with the inmate to the IDOC to be recorded in their file.  I'm not sure what you're talking about 'the number' next to it on the IDOC page....I'll have to go look to refresh my memory....
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
What is MITTIMUS?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
Okay, I see what you're asking about.....the number next to the term mittimus is his case # from the county he was convicted in....it starts with a year...as 06 followed by the letters CR..criminal, or CF, criminal-felony, or CM, criminal-misdemeanor or TR, traffic...followed by the case number assigned to that charge.  So something like 06CR1234 is the year, type of charge and the assigned case number.  Confused still?
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline thesweetness2003

• PREFERENCE...THE ONE AND ONLY....
  • PREFERENCE...THE ONE AND ONLY...
Re: What is MITTIMUS?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:12:33 PM »
 :wc38: :wc38: :wc38:
thanx dazzler, i really appreciate that, thanx.....i'm not confused anymore, and i knew that somebody here on IPT would know...
:) "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN TWO HEARTS IS NOT AN OBSTACLE, RATHER A GOOD REMINDER OF JUST HOW STRONG TRUE LOVE CAN BE....":)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
From the 'Lectric Law Library:

MITTIMUS - A precept in writing, under the hand and seal of a justice of the peace, or other competent officer, directed to the jailer or keeper of a prison, commanding him to receive and safely keep, a person charged with an offence therein named until he shall be delivered by due course of law.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »
How do I get a copy of my L/O's MITTIMUS?  The reason I ask is that the charge that is on his IDOC page does not correspond with what was on the sentencing papers that he signed as part of his plea bargain.  Who would know the reason for this?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
How do I get a copy of my L/O's MITTIMUS?  The reason I ask is that the charge that is on his IDOC page does not correspond with what was on the sentencing papers that he signed as part of his plea bargain.  Who would know the reason for this?

If you go the circuit clerk's office in the county he was convicted and have the case number and dates, you should be able to obtain a copy of the Mittimus.  You can search it out on line first.

I believe your LO can get a copy for free by requesting it through the records office of the prison he is in.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll get right on it.

Offline haleygillmore

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
My bfs mittimus is 10**** what does the 60 mean

Offline lori491999

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
My bfs mittimus is 10***** what does the 60 mean

When cases are filed in circuit court, they start with the year (10 or 2010), then the letters (CF is criminal felony) and then the number of cases that have been filed to date in that year (so his was the 60th felony filed in 2010).  The case number really has no relevance in terms of what he is charged with other than the letters...it's just the way the courts file their cases.

Offline JAlove

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
14************. So what does this mittimus mean?

Offline luvnhim

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
JAlove different counties have different case numbers and mean different things sometimes is it a 2014 case? I see it starts with14. Take a look on the county's website and see if they have a breakdown of how their case numbers are computed.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:43:24 AM »
14************. So what does this mittimus mean?

That is the # of his Sentencing Paperwork the Mittimus, which I have blocked out because everyone can look it up.  We try to keep peoples information private here.

If you go to the county clerk, you can get a copy of the his MITTIMUS.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline JAlove

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »
Thank you :)

Offline onetruelovemike

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
How can I find out if my LO has a non-violent class 4 felony charge??? Trying to see if LO would be given the SSC credit?? Please help.. Thank you

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »
How can I find out if my LO has a non-violent class 4 felony charge??? Trying to see if LO would be given the SSC credit?? Please help.. Thank you

What does his profile say on the IDOC website?   His sentencing paperwork will not tell you if he will be granted SSC, that is up to the warden and they look at more than just his conviction.