• April 25, 2018, 03:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Out of NRC now into Shawnee  (Read 466 times)

Offline Gbheoasut

Out of NRC now into Shawnee
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Today my LO was moved to Shawnee. I read on here they get one hour out in AM and one out in PM and also that they can get MP3 players to message on. Wondering what else I need to know or what to expect. How long until he can call me from there? How long until I can visit?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Out of NRC now into Shawnee
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:32:04 AM »
He will be able to call and you'll be able to visit just as soon as his list is approved.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
Like Zachsmom stated once his list is approved you can call and visit.  Initially it can be very worrisome but after about a month things will settle down into a routine.  You can put funds on his account by setting up a JPAY account. 

Attached is a link from the IDOC website that will give you visitation information

https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/shawneecorrectionalcenter.aspx

Right now a lot of facilities are on limited lockdown due to the flu and if he is in a house that has the flu you will not be able to visit so call ahead.

Also on your initial visit if you have have not visited a facility before you have to fill out a form and they put your information into a database. Make sure you have two forms of ID for your first visit.  All the info you need is on the IDOC website.
Remember you cannot visit if you have had a felony or currently out on probation unless you get permission from the Warden and pay attention to the dress code since a violation of the dress code will prevent you from visiting   

When you visit your LO can eat out of the vending machines in the visiting hall.  To do this you have to have a $5 bill to buy a vending card and then you can put money to buy snacks.  No $1 bills are accepted and the food is pricey.  I usually spend $25 a visit. You do keep the vending card and can take it back for future visits.

Your car is subject to search so make sure you do not have any contraband with you and after you check in the only thing you can take back with you is your locker key and the vending card.  When we go visit I only take my Drivers License, my car keys,  the vending card and the money I want to put on it, in with me to check in.  They will assign you a locker and everything else in there but the vending card.

My son is in Taylorville and most of the CO's are friendly and helpful.  But there are a few that are power tripping so just follow the rules and it will be fine.

I am sure there are other things that I have missed but it is really easy once you have been thru it a couple of times.  Just relax and appreciate the time you can spend with him.  They really look forward to visits and it means so much to show them that they are not forgotten and they still have your love and support.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
Sorry i forgot to mention that there is a lot of helpful information on this site but individuals that are new to the system are unsure of the questions to ask.  So ask when ever you are unsure.  Take Care

Offline Gbheoasut

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
Thanks all I think you ladies are good luck.
When I posted he was in nrc for 2 weeks one day, he got moved to Shawnee the next day
When I posted he was moved and asked how long until he could call, he called the same day.
It feels much better now that we can talk. Now just to wait for visiting to be approved. They have video visiting there so that it awesome news. Thanks again for all the help!